Lakers Rumors: Paul George A Target Of L.A. In 2014 Free Agency?
July 18, 2013 7:12 AM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are expected to be big players in free agency in the summer of 2014. LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony are likely to opt-out of their contracts and L.A. is certain to make a run at both All-Stars. If the club can’t sign either one, though, they’ll still have some very good options.
Paul George is set to be a restricted free agent next summer and could become a top target for the Lakers. After barely turning 23, he helped lead the Indiana Pacers to a seven-game Eastern Conference Finals with the Miami Heat. In 2012-2013, he put up career-highs with 17.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game.
It might be hard to find a better fit for someone to play alongside Kobe Bryant. George is a good scorer, but doesn’t have to be the No.1 option that Bryant is. Dwight Howard had difficulty sharing the spotlight with Bryant, and a superstar like James or Anthony could find himself in the same situation.
Signing George would also improve the Lakers chances of getting another max-contract player. Because he is a restricted free agent, a max deal for George, which he’s indicated he’s looking for, would only cost L.A. approximately $14 million per season. With only Steve Nash under contract beyond 2014, that might give Los Angeles enough room under the salary cap to sign another star.
George may ultimately decide to stay in Indiana. He’s had a lot of success with the club in his years, and the team has a bright future with players like Roy Hibbert and David West signed to multi-year deals. However, he has admitted that he’s intrigued by the thought of playing his home games at Staples Center. The small forward is from California and lives in L.A. during the offseason. In a recent interview with ESPN’s Colin Cowherd, George admitted that he’d consider going to the Lakers.
“Of course it would be tough (to say no to Kobe),” said George. “You’re talking about playing [at] home.”
Even if both sides want to make a deal, however, George might still end up staying with the Pacers. Since he is a restricted free agent, Indiana can match any offer that L.A. makes. Indiana has just over $45 million in salary committed next season, so giving George a max-contract won’t likely force them to pay any luxury tax.
If George continues to play at the same level, it would be hard to imagine that he won’t get the money that he’s looking for. Knowing that he’s going to get paid, George will likely want to play with the team that gives him the best chance of winning a title.
“I definitely want to win,” George said. “I want to be a champion. I want to get a ring. I think all of that should be in my future as an NBA player. I think that’ll be the case of if I want to leave or stay in Indiana. I think the only thing that will change that is who’s on the roster and who’s with me.”
Next summer, Indiana should still have one of the best rosters in the Eastern Conference. Depending on what happens in free agency, though, L.A. could be the place that best fits what George is looking for.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports