NBA Free Agents 2013: Brandon Jennings, Gerald Henderson, Nate Robinson, Mike Miller, And Greg Oden Still On The Market?
July 18, 2013 4:09 AM EST
The best NBA free agents of the 2013 offseason have been off the market for over a week, but there could be a lot of player movement in the coming days. Several players in the second tier of free agency are looking for new contracts. Restricted free agents, as well as recently amnestied players, are the top options for teams looking to improve their roster.
At this point in the summer, it may be difficult for players to get much more than a qualifying offer or the veteran’s minimum. Still, a few available players could make a significant impact on a 2014 playoff team.
The point guard may have been too optimistic in seeking a contract worth $12 million a year. Jennings hasn’t received any major offers through the first two and a half weeks of free agency and could be forced to accept the Milwaukee Bucks qualifying offer of $4.5 million for 2013-2014. The Detroit Pistons might be his best chance of receiving a lucrative, multi-year deal. Multiple reports have stated that he two Central Division teams are discussing a sign-and-trade for the restricted free agent, though Detroit general manager Joe Dumars has denied the rumors.
As a restricted free agent, Henderson may be the best shooting guard on the market. He averaged a career-high 15.5 points per game last season and isn’t commanding a large salary. If he doesn’t take the Charlotte Bobcats qualifying offer, the team could look to make a sign-and-trade. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the team doesn’t want to pay him the approximately $8 million per season that he could make.
Despite a great playoff series against the Brooklyn Nets and playing a vital role for the Chicago Bulls, the 29-year-old hasn’t been receiving the contract offers he’d hope for. The New York Knicks would like to have Robinson back, but only at the veteran’s minimum. The Denver Nuggets are interested, as well, and may be his most likely destination.
Miller is the newest free agent to hit the market after the Miami Heat used their amnesty clause on him. The sharpshooter made some big shots in the team’s NBA Finals run in 2012, but was largely ineffective in 2013. Wherever he land’s, he shouldn’t get more than a minimum-salary contract. He may latch onto a team like the Knicks or Los Angeles Lakers that could use a good shooter on the cheap.
The former No.1 overall draft pick hasn’t played in the NBA in the past three seasons, but it appears there are teams that will give him a contract. Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports reports that the New Orleans Pelicans could offer him a deal worth close to $3 million. The Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks, Boston Celtics and Sacramento Kings have also met with the 25-year-old. Oden is averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in 82 career games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date