NBA Free Agents 2013: Brandon Jennings, Gerald Henderson, Nate Robinson, Mike Miller, And Greg Oden Still On The Market?
July 18, 2013 4:09 AM EST
The best NBA free agents of the 2013 offseason have been off the market for over a week, but there could be a lot of player movement in the coming days. Several players in the second tier of free agency are looking for new contracts. Restricted free agents, as well as recently amnestied players, are the top options for teams looking to improve their roster.
At this point in the summer, it may be difficult for players to get much more than a qualifying offer or the veteran’s minimum. Still, a few available players could make a significant impact on a 2014 playoff team.
The point guard may have been too optimistic in seeking a contract worth $12 million a year. Jennings hasn’t received any major offers through the first two and a half weeks of free agency and could be forced to accept the Milwaukee Bucks qualifying offer of $4.5 million for 2013-2014. The Detroit Pistons might be his best chance of receiving a lucrative, multi-year deal. Multiple reports have stated that he two Central Division teams are discussing a sign-and-trade for the restricted free agent, though Detroit general manager Joe Dumars has denied the rumors.
As a restricted free agent, Henderson may be the best shooting guard on the market. He averaged a career-high 15.5 points per game last season and isn’t commanding a large salary. If he doesn’t take the Charlotte Bobcats qualifying offer, the team could look to make a sign-and-trade. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports, the team doesn’t want to pay him the approximately $8 million per season that he could make.
Despite a great playoff series against the Brooklyn Nets and playing a vital role for the Chicago Bulls, the 29-year-old hasn’t been receiving the contract offers he’d hope for. The New York Knicks would like to have Robinson back, but only at the veteran’s minimum. The Denver Nuggets are interested, as well, and may be his most likely destination.
Miller is the newest free agent to hit the market after the Miami Heat used their amnesty clause on him. The sharpshooter made some big shots in the team’s NBA Finals run in 2012, but was largely ineffective in 2013. Wherever he land’s, he shouldn’t get more than a minimum-salary contract. He may latch onto a team like the Knicks or Los Angeles Lakers that could use a good shooter on the cheap.
The former No.1 overall draft pick hasn’t played in the NBA in the past three seasons, but it appears there are teams that will give him a contract. Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports reports that the New Orleans Pelicans could offer him a deal worth close to $3 million. The Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Mavericks, Boston Celtics and Sacramento Kings have also met with the 25-year-old. Oden is averaging 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds per game in 82 career games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence