Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 vs Apple iPad 4: Get Cheap Android Tablet, or Spend More for iOS with Better Hardware? [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | July 17, 2013 4:10 PM EST
In Australia, the price of Apple iPad 4 (16GB WiFi) starts at $609.95. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 (16 GB WiFi only) price tag is marked $399.99 (AU$435). It is pretty clear which full-size tablet is cheaper. But does the more affordable choice really offer real value for money?
The iPad 4 and Galaxy Tab 3 are the flagship full-size tablets of Apple and Samsung, respectively. The newest iPad was released late last year, but the Tab 3 has just been recently introduced. Despite the months of difference in release dates, the iOS-based iPad 4 has better specs. However, it is also far more expensive. Will you lose so much if you go for the cheaper Android Jelly Bean tablet?
iPad 4 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab 3: No contest in Screen Display
Full-size tablet shoppers prefer big screens. The iPad 4's 9.7-in screen sports a resolution of 1536 x 2048 pixels (LED-backlit IPS). In contrast, the Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 screen display features a 1280 x 800-pixel TFT LCD. This is a huge difference in screen display quality, but many buyers don't mind sacrificing it to save some cash.
The iPad 4 is fueled by the dual-core A6X with quad-core graphics and 1GB of RAM. If you go for the 16 GB variant, there's no option to expand storage. In contrast, the Galaxy Tab 3 has a 1.6-GHz Atom Z2560 CPU and 1GB of RAM under the hood. And according to reviews, heavy processes lag with this system. If you're a light-to-moderate media browser who don't play demanding games, you'll be fine with the Tab 3.
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Overview: Quick Review of Pros and Cons
The good news with the Tab 3 is that it will allow you to store more photos, videos and other media with its expandable storage. Users can expand up to 64 GB with a microSD card. On the portability factor, however, the Tab 3 10.1 is heavier at 1.3 lbs compared to the iPad 4's 1.3 lbs. But the Galaxy Tab 3 has one point over the iPad 4 for simply being an Android device, which allows users to manage their files more easily.
So if you choose to save AU$175 and get the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, you'd sacrfice sharper display but gain more storage. Your device is physically heavier, but the system is weaker. You don't get to access the Apple App store, but you'd have to get only the important apps, anyway, because you don't want your tablet to lag.
Now if you have decided the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 gives you value for money and the $399 price tag works for you, it's time to check out the Nexus 10. It is more power-packed than the Tab 3, but it lacks the Samsung TouchWiz interface that is familiar to Samsung device users.
VIDEO: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 Review (MobileTech on YouTube)
More iPad, Galaxy Tab Tablet Shopping Features:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 vs New Nexus 7: Top 5 Dealbreakers for Android Tablet Shoppers [PHOTOS]
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, Note 8, Mega 6.3: Android Shopping for Tablet, Tab with Stylus, or Phablet? [PHOTOS]
Nexus 7 2nd Generation: Dealbreakers and Reasons to Forget Other Cheap Android Tablets [PHOTOS]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists