Yahoo Wins Victory Against PRISM: FISA Court Orders NSA To Declassify Documents
July 17, 2013 1:49 AM EST
Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) is actively trying to prove that it wasn’t complicit with secret NSA surveillance programs like PRISM. Yahoo won an important victory Monday when a FISA court ruled that the Department of Justice must reveal classified documents that Yahoo says will prove that the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company resisted FISA court order for user information.
When Edward Snowden initially leaked documents that connected several major Internet companies with PRISM, which gives the NSA easy access to user data, every company involved denied participation. A new leak Thursday by Snowden showed that at least one of these companies, Microsoft, not only participated in PRISM, but took significant steps above and beyond court orders to help the NSA collect user data.
The win is significant for Yahoo, and supports the company’s previous statements against data collection. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which also won a recent legal victory towards declassifying more information about PRISM, praised Yahoo for its efforts.
“Once those documents are made public, we believe they will contribute constructively to the ongoing public discussion around online privacy,” Yahoo said in a statement.
Daily Dot points out the irony in the fact that a FISA court granted permission to reveal documents showing how Yahoo resisted orders that a FISA court initially granted. It shows how complicated this whole PRISM situation is.
The DOJ has two weeks to state how long it will take to declassify the documents, and they will likely be heavily redacted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Australia Amends Film Co-production Rules To Attract Big Ventures
- Boxing News 2014: 3-Part 24/7 Pacquiao vs Algieri Pre-Fight Teaser Premieres On Nov 8; Bradley Trainer Believes Pacman Will Prevail
- ‘White Collar’ Season 6 [Final Season] Spoilers: Episode 1 Title Revealed, Rebecca Returns
- Biggest Superhero Movie Ever; Might See Ryan Gosling,Tom Hardy and Will Smith Together
- Floyd Mayweather Bets $800K On Arizona Cardinals And Wins More Than $1.5M
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar