Yahoo Wins Victory Against PRISM: FISA Court Orders NSA To Declassify Documents
July 17, 2013 1:49 AM EST
Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) is actively trying to prove that it wasn’t complicit with secret NSA surveillance programs like PRISM. Yahoo won an important victory Monday when a FISA court ruled that the Department of Justice must reveal classified documents that Yahoo says will prove that the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company resisted FISA court order for user information.
When Edward Snowden initially leaked documents that connected several major Internet companies with PRISM, which gives the NSA easy access to user data, every company involved denied participation. A new leak Thursday by Snowden showed that at least one of these companies, Microsoft, not only participated in PRISM, but took significant steps above and beyond court orders to help the NSA collect user data.
The win is significant for Yahoo, and supports the company’s previous statements against data collection. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which also won a recent legal victory towards declassifying more information about PRISM, praised Yahoo for its efforts.
“Once those documents are made public, we believe they will contribute constructively to the ongoing public discussion around online privacy,” Yahoo said in a statement.
Daily Dot points out the irony in the fact that a FISA court granted permission to reveal documents showing how Yahoo resisted orders that a FISA court initially granted. It shows how complicated this whole PRISM situation is.
The DOJ has two weeks to state how long it will take to declassify the documents, and they will likely be heavily redacted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Spanish Super Cup First Leg Result: Real Madrid 1-1 Atletico Madrid
- Maria Sharapova in NYC to Promote SuperGoop
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff