Yahoo Wins Victory Against PRISM: FISA Court Orders NSA To Declassify Documents
July 17, 2013 1:49 AM EST
Yahoo Inc. (NASDAQ: YHOO) is actively trying to prove that it wasn’t complicit with secret NSA surveillance programs like PRISM. Yahoo won an important victory Monday when a FISA court ruled that the Department of Justice must reveal classified documents that Yahoo says will prove that the Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company resisted FISA court order for user information.
When Edward Snowden initially leaked documents that connected several major Internet companies with PRISM, which gives the NSA easy access to user data, every company involved denied participation. A new leak Thursday by Snowden showed that at least one of these companies, Microsoft, not only participated in PRISM, but took significant steps above and beyond court orders to help the NSA collect user data.
The win is significant for Yahoo, and supports the company’s previous statements against data collection. The Electronic Frontier Foundation, which also won a recent legal victory towards declassifying more information about PRISM, praised Yahoo for its efforts.
“Once those documents are made public, we believe they will contribute constructively to the ongoing public discussion around online privacy,” Yahoo said in a statement.
Daily Dot points out the irony in the fact that a FISA court granted permission to reveal documents showing how Yahoo resisted orders that a FISA court initially granted. It shows how complicated this whole PRISM situation is.
The DOJ has two weeks to state how long it will take to declassify the documents, and they will likely be heavily redacted.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Putin To Sweep Kiev With Nuclear Weapon Not Seen Since World War 2
- Nabi Big Tab HD: A Giant Tab Measuring 20 to 24 Inches For The Whole Family
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- Global Markets Overview – September 3, 2014
- Hike App Tops 35 Million Users: It's Privacy Settings are a Hit Among Indian Teens
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones