Wasim Akram down on bended knee for Australian Shaniera Thompson
By Rima Pundir | July 16, 2013 4:59 PM EST
Wasim Akram, much like his cricketing senior and predecessor Imran Khan, has gone ahead and found himself a wife from shores abroad. Imran Khan had married the high-profile British national Jemima Marcel Khan nee Goldsmith, the eldest child of Lady Annabel Vane-Tempest-Stewart and Anglo-French financier Sir James Goldsmith.
They had two sons from the marriage that went amicably south after 9 years of wedded bliss - the reasons cited were Jemima's inability to adjust to a life in Pakistan.
Now Wasim too seems to have found love in a foreign national - Shaniera Thompson, a Melbourne-based PR consultant and publicist. The duo had met in 2011, two years after Wasim's first wife Huma had succumbed to a mysterious fever and multiple organ failure, finally passing away from a cardiac arrest in Chennai, India. Initially it was all about friendship and the balm Wasim needed after losing his partner of 14 years. The friendship blossomed into romance and Wasim is very happy to have found love again.
Her proposed to her traditionally, going down on bended knee in a private lounge to which she responded happily but conditionally. Equally traditionally Wasim had to call upon Shaniera's father to ask for her hand and blessings. Once he got the go ahead, the couple formalized their plans to marry next year.
As is required, Shaniera has already converted to Islam and is apparently become quite adept at cooking Pakistani dishes. She has shifted to Pakistan in an effort to get accustomed to her future husband's homeland. Wasim is confident about getting her well adjusted to life in Pakistan and is sure that Shaniera would make for a great life partner. He revealed that she had bonded well with both his sons and his family. The upcoming nuptials has the blessing of all families, his and Shaniera's and even his former in-laws, his late wife's family has given him their warm wishes.
Now it's for the world to see if Wasim and Shaniera can make a better go of the institution of marriage than Imran and Jemima...
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools