Wasim Akram down on bended knee for Australian Shaniera Thompson
By Rima Pundir | July 16, 2013 4:59 PM EST
Wasim Akram, much like his cricketing senior and predecessor Imran Khan, has gone ahead and found himself a wife from shores abroad. Imran Khan had married the high-profile British national Jemima Marcel Khan nee Goldsmith, the eldest child of Lady Annabel Vane-Tempest-Stewart and Anglo-French financier Sir James Goldsmith.
They had two sons from the marriage that went amicably south after 9 years of wedded bliss - the reasons cited were Jemima's inability to adjust to a life in Pakistan.
Now Wasim too seems to have found love in a foreign national - Shaniera Thompson, a Melbourne-based PR consultant and publicist. The duo had met in 2011, two years after Wasim's first wife Huma had succumbed to a mysterious fever and multiple organ failure, finally passing away from a cardiac arrest in Chennai, India. Initially it was all about friendship and the balm Wasim needed after losing his partner of 14 years. The friendship blossomed into romance and Wasim is very happy to have found love again.
Her proposed to her traditionally, going down on bended knee in a private lounge to which she responded happily but conditionally. Equally traditionally Wasim had to call upon Shaniera's father to ask for her hand and blessings. Once he got the go ahead, the couple formalized their plans to marry next year.
As is required, Shaniera has already converted to Islam and is apparently become quite adept at cooking Pakistani dishes. She has shifted to Pakistan in an effort to get accustomed to her future husband's homeland. Wasim is confident about getting her well adjusted to life in Pakistan and is sure that Shaniera would make for a great life partner. He revealed that she had bonded well with both his sons and his family. The upcoming nuptials has the blessing of all families, his and Shaniera's and even his former in-laws, his late wife's family has given him their warm wishes.
Now it's for the world to see if Wasim and Shaniera can make a better go of the institution of marriage than Imran and Jemima...
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Without LeBron James, Kevin Durant And Other Stars, Team USA Looks to James Harden As Leader In 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko