Wasim Akram down on bended knee for Australian Shaniera Thompson
By Rima Pundir | July 16, 2013 4:59 PM EST
Wasim Akram, much like his cricketing senior and predecessor Imran Khan, has gone ahead and found himself a wife from shores abroad. Imran Khan had married the high-profile British national Jemima Marcel Khan nee Goldsmith, the eldest child of Lady Annabel Vane-Tempest-Stewart and Anglo-French financier Sir James Goldsmith.
They had two sons from the marriage that went amicably south after 9 years of wedded bliss - the reasons cited were Jemima's inability to adjust to a life in Pakistan.
Now Wasim too seems to have found love in a foreign national - Shaniera Thompson, a Melbourne-based PR consultant and publicist. The duo had met in 2011, two years after Wasim's first wife Huma had succumbed to a mysterious fever and multiple organ failure, finally passing away from a cardiac arrest in Chennai, India. Initially it was all about friendship and the balm Wasim needed after losing his partner of 14 years. The friendship blossomed into romance and Wasim is very happy to have found love again.
Her proposed to her traditionally, going down on bended knee in a private lounge to which she responded happily but conditionally. Equally traditionally Wasim had to call upon Shaniera's father to ask for her hand and blessings. Once he got the go ahead, the couple formalized their plans to marry next year.
As is required, Shaniera has already converted to Islam and is apparently become quite adept at cooking Pakistani dishes. She has shifted to Pakistan in an effort to get accustomed to her future husband's homeland. Wasim is confident about getting her well adjusted to life in Pakistan and is sure that Shaniera would make for a great life partner. He revealed that she had bonded well with both his sons and his family. The upcoming nuptials has the blessing of all families, his and Shaniera's and even his former in-laws, his late wife's family has given him their warm wishes.
Now it's for the world to see if Wasim and Shaniera can make a better go of the institution of marriage than Imran and Jemima...
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone