World Youth Day 2013: Vatican Releases Pope Francis Itinerary in Brazil
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 16, 2013 2:32 PM EST
With the 28th World Day of Youth (WDY) just a mere six days away, the Vatican has released the itinerary of Pope Francis for the anticipated global event to be held in Brazil from July 23-29.
Benedict XVI's successor is scheduled to meet Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff at the Guanabara palace in Rio de Janeiro, right after his plane lands at the airport, his very first activity in relation to the World Youth Day 2013.
However, Rome Reports said that after that meeting, the Pope had refused to take any other audience as he wants to take some time to rest and do prayer at the residence of Rio's Archbishop.
Pope Francis itinerary from July 23-29 while in Brazil:
July 23 - Travel to the Nuestra Señora de Aparecida shrine, celebrate Mass and have lunch with a group of young seminarians. On his way back, will visit the San Francisco de Asis hospital, where AIDS patients are treated.
July 25 - In rites, Pope Francis will receive the "golden keys" to Rio and then bless the Olympic flags. Then will visit the Manguinhos slum, where over 50,000 people live. At 6 o'clock in the evening, the Pope attends and leads his first massive gathering with young pilgrims in the Copacabana beach.
July 26 - Lead confession of some of the youths. Meet with a group of young Rio prison inmates. In the evening, lead a Way of the Cross ceremony along the streets of Rio.
July 27 - Pope Francis is expected to attend a meeting with politicians and entrepreneurs at Rio's Municipal Theater. In the evening, will celebrate a prayer vigil with more than one million youths.
July 28 - Pope Francis end this year's World Youth Day 2013 festivities with an open-air Mass. The announcement of the next WYD will declared at this time. After, the Pope will meet with Latin American bishops or their representatives.
Pope Francis is expected to be back in Rome on Monday at 11:30 a.m.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown