World Youth Day 2013: Vatican Releases Pope Francis Itinerary in Brazil
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 16, 2013 2:32 PM EST
With the 28th World Day of Youth (WDY) just a mere six days away, the Vatican has released the itinerary of Pope Francis for the anticipated global event to be held in Brazil from July 23-29.
Benedict XVI's successor is scheduled to meet Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff at the Guanabara palace in Rio de Janeiro, right after his plane lands at the airport, his very first activity in relation to the World Youth Day 2013.
However, Rome Reports said that after that meeting, the Pope had refused to take any other audience as he wants to take some time to rest and do prayer at the residence of Rio's Archbishop.
Pope Francis itinerary from July 23-29 while in Brazil:
July 23 - Travel to the Nuestra Señora de Aparecida shrine, celebrate Mass and have lunch with a group of young seminarians. On his way back, will visit the San Francisco de Asis hospital, where AIDS patients are treated.
July 25 - In rites, Pope Francis will receive the "golden keys" to Rio and then bless the Olympic flags. Then will visit the Manguinhos slum, where over 50,000 people live. At 6 o'clock in the evening, the Pope attends and leads his first massive gathering with young pilgrims in the Copacabana beach.
July 26 - Lead confession of some of the youths. Meet with a group of young Rio prison inmates. In the evening, lead a Way of the Cross ceremony along the streets of Rio.
July 27 - Pope Francis is expected to attend a meeting with politicians and entrepreneurs at Rio's Municipal Theater. In the evening, will celebrate a prayer vigil with more than one million youths.
July 28 - Pope Francis end this year's World Youth Day 2013 festivities with an open-air Mass. The announcement of the next WYD will declared at this time. After, the Pope will meet with Latin American bishops or their representatives.
Pope Francis is expected to be back in Rome on Monday at 11:30 a.m.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS