World Youth Day 2013: Vatican Releases Pope Francis Itinerary in Brazil
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 16, 2013 2:32 PM EST
With the 28th World Day of Youth (WDY) just a mere six days away, the Vatican has released the itinerary of Pope Francis for the anticipated global event to be held in Brazil from July 23-29.
Benedict XVI's successor is scheduled to meet Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff at the Guanabara palace in Rio de Janeiro, right after his plane lands at the airport, his very first activity in relation to the World Youth Day 2013.
However, Rome Reports said that after that meeting, the Pope had refused to take any other audience as he wants to take some time to rest and do prayer at the residence of Rio's Archbishop.
Pope Francis itinerary from July 23-29 while in Brazil:
July 23 - Travel to the Nuestra Señora de Aparecida shrine, celebrate Mass and have lunch with a group of young seminarians. On his way back, will visit the San Francisco de Asis hospital, where AIDS patients are treated.
July 25 - In rites, Pope Francis will receive the "golden keys" to Rio and then bless the Olympic flags. Then will visit the Manguinhos slum, where over 50,000 people live. At 6 o'clock in the evening, the Pope attends and leads his first massive gathering with young pilgrims in the Copacabana beach.
July 26 - Lead confession of some of the youths. Meet with a group of young Rio prison inmates. In the evening, lead a Way of the Cross ceremony along the streets of Rio.
July 27 - Pope Francis is expected to attend a meeting with politicians and entrepreneurs at Rio's Municipal Theater. In the evening, will celebrate a prayer vigil with more than one million youths.
July 28 - Pope Francis end this year's World Youth Day 2013 festivities with an open-air Mass. The announcement of the next WYD will declared at this time. After, the Pope will meet with Latin American bishops or their representatives.
Pope Francis is expected to be back in Rome on Monday at 11:30 a.m.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Pope Francis To Simplify Annulments In Catholic Church
- Ebola Update: US CDC Expects More Cases By End Of Jan 2015, Advises Airlines To ‘Treat All Body Fluids As Infectious'
- Roubini Global Economics Forecasts 20% Decline In Value Of Aussie Dollar, Economic Slowdown
- B.C. Teachers Strike: Public Classes for Half a Billion Kids Finally Start
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues