U.S. Mom Gives Birth to Whopping Baby Girl Who’s 13 Lb Heavy, 2 Feet Long
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 15, 2013 2:15 PM EST
Her parents knew they would be having a big baby, but couldn't quite believe how literally big baby girl Addyson Gale Cessna turned out to be. Delivered via C-section, the "little" bundle of joy's birth statistics were registered at 13 pounds and 12 ounces, and more than two feet tall at birth.
"We knew we had a big baby, but not that big," Michelle, baby Addyson's mom, told KDKA.
"I was guessing about 10 pounds, I wasn't expecting this," Mark, baby Addyson's father, said after the baby's birth.
Officials from Armstrong County Memorial Hospital in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, said baby Addyson is by far their biggest baby.
Dr Amy Turner, the doctor who performed the C-section, charted the baby's size but admitted her calculations lacked the numbers.
"We were thinking around ten-and-a-half eleven pounds or so. When I first got her out I was like, 'Oh, she's at least twelve pounds.' She was much bigger than we thought!" Dr Turner said.
However, medical experts warned that no matter how cute and adorable these babies look at birth, it is important to note that their birth weights are actually a matter of concern.
Mary Helen Black, a biostatistician with Kaiser Permanente Southern California's department of research and evaluation, earlier told Huffington Post that babies born too large, too big or too heavy actually have larger risks "for very serious consequences both during delivery, for the mother and the infant, as well as later in life - for the infant."
Babies who were born weighing more than 8 pounds and 13 ounces actually suffer from fetal macrocomia, a condition attributed to maternal obesity and diabetes, among other factors.
Fortunately, baby Addyson, who is the third, youngest and only girl among the sibling, and mom Michelle are healthy and doing well.
"I can't even describe, it's just bliss. Got the perfect little family now," Michelle said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- The Great Australian Sex Census Decodes Sex Technology Habits of Australians
- Paris Hilton Quits Junk Food: A High Fat Diet Could Destroy Your Sense of Smell, Study
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales