U.S. Mom Gives Birth to Whopping Baby Girl Who’s 13 Lb Heavy, 2 Feet Long
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 15, 2013 2:15 PM EST
Her parents knew they would be having a big baby, but couldn't quite believe how literally big baby girl Addyson Gale Cessna turned out to be. Delivered via C-section, the "little" bundle of joy's birth statistics were registered at 13 pounds and 12 ounces, and more than two feet tall at birth.
"We knew we had a big baby, but not that big," Michelle, baby Addyson's mom, told KDKA.
"I was guessing about 10 pounds, I wasn't expecting this," Mark, baby Addyson's father, said after the baby's birth.
Officials from Armstrong County Memorial Hospital in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, said baby Addyson is by far their biggest baby.
Dr Amy Turner, the doctor who performed the C-section, charted the baby's size but admitted her calculations lacked the numbers.
"We were thinking around ten-and-a-half eleven pounds or so. When I first got her out I was like, 'Oh, she's at least twelve pounds.' She was much bigger than we thought!" Dr Turner said.
However, medical experts warned that no matter how cute and adorable these babies look at birth, it is important to note that their birth weights are actually a matter of concern.
Mary Helen Black, a biostatistician with Kaiser Permanente Southern California's department of research and evaluation, earlier told Huffington Post that babies born too large, too big or too heavy actually have larger risks "for very serious consequences both during delivery, for the mother and the infant, as well as later in life - for the infant."
Babies who were born weighing more than 8 pounds and 13 ounces actually suffer from fetal macrocomia, a condition attributed to maternal obesity and diabetes, among other factors.
Fortunately, baby Addyson, who is the third, youngest and only girl among the sibling, and mom Michelle are healthy and doing well.
"I can't even describe, it's just bliss. Got the perfect little family now," Michelle said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy