U.S. Mom Gives Birth to Whopping Baby Girl Who’s 13 Lb Heavy, 2 Feet Long
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 15, 2013 2:15 PM EST
Her parents knew they would be having a big baby, but couldn't quite believe how literally big baby girl Addyson Gale Cessna turned out to be. Delivered via C-section, the "little" bundle of joy's birth statistics were registered at 13 pounds and 12 ounces, and more than two feet tall at birth.
"We knew we had a big baby, but not that big," Michelle, baby Addyson's mom, told KDKA.
"I was guessing about 10 pounds, I wasn't expecting this," Mark, baby Addyson's father, said after the baby's birth.
Officials from Armstrong County Memorial Hospital in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, said baby Addyson is by far their biggest baby.
Dr Amy Turner, the doctor who performed the C-section, charted the baby's size but admitted her calculations lacked the numbers.
"We were thinking around ten-and-a-half eleven pounds or so. When I first got her out I was like, 'Oh, she's at least twelve pounds.' She was much bigger than we thought!" Dr Turner said.
However, medical experts warned that no matter how cute and adorable these babies look at birth, it is important to note that their birth weights are actually a matter of concern.
Mary Helen Black, a biostatistician with Kaiser Permanente Southern California's department of research and evaluation, earlier told Huffington Post that babies born too large, too big or too heavy actually have larger risks "for very serious consequences both during delivery, for the mother and the infant, as well as later in life - for the infant."
Babies who were born weighing more than 8 pounds and 13 ounces actually suffer from fetal macrocomia, a condition attributed to maternal obesity and diabetes, among other factors.
Fortunately, baby Addyson, who is the third, youngest and only girl among the sibling, and mom Michelle are healthy and doing well.
"I can't even describe, it's just bliss. Got the perfect little family now," Michelle said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Outbreak: Some Tips and Precautions to Keep It At Bay
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- The Mind is the Key in Female Orgasms: Research
- Most Parents See 'Nothing Wrong' with Overweight or Obese Children
- 9/11 Cancer Collection Claims 2,500 Ground Zero Rescue Workers: All of Them Have Cancer Now
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell