Houston Rockets Want To Keep Two Cornerstones Despite Arrival of Dwight Howard
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 15, 2013 10:49 AM EST
The Houston Rockets are planning to keep Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik despite the arrival of All-Star center Dwight Howard, team general manager Daryl Morey said on Saturday.
Morey said he's going to keep the core of the team intact amid several trade rumors involving Lin and Asik. The general manager added that Howard and James Harden want the two players to remain with the team and play for the Championship this season.
"The reality is James and Dwight want to play with Jeremy and Omer," Morey told ESPN "I've been kicked down to assistant GM. They're going to be here."
Asik, who was signed by the Rockets last summer for a three-year deal, demanded a trade right away after learning Howard's decision to play in Houston. However, the Rockets management remains adamant on Asik's request, believing the two will co-exist on the floor at the same time.
Morey added that Asik and Howard will instantly give the Rockets one of the most formidable frontcourt tandem on the defensive end.
"When we didn't have Omer out there last year, we [stunk]. I mean, we were terrible. That was where we lost games. When we had Omer out there, we were a top-10 defensive team.
"Now we have a defensive player of the year and Omer. That position is so important if you're going to have a solid defense. Now we have two of the best in the league. I am very excited," Morey told the Houston Chronicle, as posted by ESPN.
Howard also expressed his desire to play with both Asik and Lin, believing those two players will make things better for the Rockets.
"He's a big piece to us winning a championship if we're going to make that run. He and Jeremy Lin will be very good playing with me. I'm going to do whatever I can to make those guys' lives better. I realize how much they mean to this team," Howard said in Saturday's press conference in Houston.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]