City of London Finance Job Vacancies Slide in 2013
By Shane Croucher | July 12, 2013 8:11 PM EST
City of London finance job vacancies slid 9% in the first half of 2013 when compared with the same six months a year before.
The figures, compiled in recruitment firm Morgan McKinley's London Employment Monitor, also found that across the same period the number of job hunters in the capital's financial sector lifted by 15%.
Despite more people competing for fewer vacancies, salaries for new jobs were 12% higher on the year.
Hakan Enver, operations director at Morgan McKinley Financial Services, said the vacancies decline indicates "that there is still scope for further market recovery over the remainder of the year.
"However, this is very much dependent on macroeconomic factors stabilising. Our advice to hiring managers is to keep one eye on these issues and their possible impact whilst ensuring adequate resource planning for the second half of the year."
Demand Grows for Compliance
Despite the year-on-year fall, the number of finance job vacancies in London has picked up in recent months. From May to June the number of vacancies jumped 21% to 7,749, the highest monthly number in the second quarter.
"The compliance and audit markets continue to be active as we have mentioned previously," said Enver.
"In addition, demand is also coming from certain infrastructure functions within the asset management industry, for example within the marketing world, investment communications opportunities are back in favour as well as an increase in demand for investment writer and RFP roles."
The country's motoring service sector, which includes financial firms, has seen output accelerate in the three months to June. Service firms represent three quarters of GDP.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Canadian Bank Thanks Its Customers Through Surprise Gifts In ATM [VIDEO]
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements