City of London Finance Job Vacancies Slide in 2013
By Shane Croucher | July 12, 2013 8:11 PM EST
City of London finance job vacancies slid 9% in the first half of 2013 when compared with the same six months a year before.
The figures, compiled in recruitment firm Morgan McKinley's London Employment Monitor, also found that across the same period the number of job hunters in the capital's financial sector lifted by 15%.
Despite more people competing for fewer vacancies, salaries for new jobs were 12% higher on the year.
Hakan Enver, operations director at Morgan McKinley Financial Services, said the vacancies decline indicates "that there is still scope for further market recovery over the remainder of the year.
"However, this is very much dependent on macroeconomic factors stabilising. Our advice to hiring managers is to keep one eye on these issues and their possible impact whilst ensuring adequate resource planning for the second half of the year."
Demand Grows for Compliance
Despite the year-on-year fall, the number of finance job vacancies in London has picked up in recent months. From May to June the number of vacancies jumped 21% to 7,749, the highest monthly number in the second quarter.
"The compliance and audit markets continue to be active as we have mentioned previously," said Enver.
"In addition, demand is also coming from certain infrastructure functions within the asset management industry, for example within the marketing world, investment communications opportunities are back in favour as well as an increase in demand for investment writer and RFP roles."
The country's motoring service sector, which includes financial firms, has seen output accelerate in the three months to June. Service firms represent three quarters of GDP.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Global Air Travel Alert: Air France Pilots Stage Labour Strike
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- Venezuelans Using Made-in-China Silicones Because Of Breast Implant Shortage
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date