City of London Finance Job Vacancies Slide in 2013
By Shane Croucher | July 12, 2013 8:11 PM EST
City of London finance job vacancies slid 9% in the first half of 2013 when compared with the same six months a year before.
The figures, compiled in recruitment firm Morgan McKinley's London Employment Monitor, also found that across the same period the number of job hunters in the capital's financial sector lifted by 15%.
Despite more people competing for fewer vacancies, salaries for new jobs were 12% higher on the year.
Hakan Enver, operations director at Morgan McKinley Financial Services, said the vacancies decline indicates "that there is still scope for further market recovery over the remainder of the year.
"However, this is very much dependent on macroeconomic factors stabilising. Our advice to hiring managers is to keep one eye on these issues and their possible impact whilst ensuring adequate resource planning for the second half of the year."
Demand Grows for Compliance
Despite the year-on-year fall, the number of finance job vacancies in London has picked up in recent months. From May to June the number of vacancies jumped 21% to 7,749, the highest monthly number in the second quarter.
"The compliance and audit markets continue to be active as we have mentioned previously," said Enver.
"In addition, demand is also coming from certain infrastructure functions within the asset management industry, for example within the marketing world, investment communications opportunities are back in favour as well as an increase in demand for investment writer and RFP roles."
The country's motoring service sector, which includes financial firms, has seen output accelerate in the three months to June. Service firms represent three quarters of GDP.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage