Apple’s Next Best Product? Apple is Patenting a New Hybrid Next-Level Control Device
By Precious Silva | July 12, 2013 1:13 PM EST
Something is brewing in apple as reports cite a sighting of a patent application under the company's name at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The patent hints Apple's working on a hybrid device with an external touchpad and built-in initial sensors. The new device offers people a wide range of motion functions - could this be Apple's next best product?
The Patent Office released on Thursday what happens to be the "Hybrid Inertial and Touch Sensing Input Device" from Apple. The filing reveals some great features including conventional input devices such as trackballs, mice and trackpads. And they are all in one product.
Normally, computer mice come with an optical sensor. The track wheels or the track ball will control the cursor onscreen. Trackpards utilize capacitive signals distributed throughout a specified area to monitor motion. This is similar to the multitouch unit found on the Macbook line of Apple.
Other kinds of devices usually have inertial sensors and accelerometers for movement detection. After the sensors detect the movement, the computer displays the action onscreen. Often, these types of input design and process have their negative and positive aspects.
The advantages and disadvantages depend on their design.
The patent language noted, "most, if not all, conventional input devices are inadequate in tracking both large and fine motions." Examples include inertia-based inputs. They are great for tracking wide range of motions. However, they cannot track as many movements. Trackpads, on the other hand, are better when creating fine motion ranges. Users have to exert more effort if they want to move the cursor onscreen compared with a mouse.
Although device drivers can offer solution using software, the patent application from Apple provides a hardware solution. The patent features both a touchpad for fine applications and a motion sensor for wider control and sensor needs. Apple combines two processes for better touch control.
The hybrid application filing was cited initially back in 2012. The filing reveals Farshid Hashimi as the inventor.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features