Greg Oden Free Agent Rumors: Mavericks, Heat, Spurs, Cavaliers Interested In Center, Former No. 1 Pick
July 12, 2013 2:44 AM EST
Former No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft Greg Oden will make his return next season.
But the question now is where.
The Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Cavaliers, and even the floundering Charlotte Bobcats were reportedly on Oden’s radar, but now according to ESPN’s Marc Stein, the Dallas Mavericks are also under consideration.
Oden is an unrestricted free agent, and hasn’t appeared in a game since 2010 when he re-injured his knee. The 25-year-old has undergone several micro-fracture surgeries and while his risk of injury is high, his seven-foot frame still makes Oden a worthwhile gamble for teams in need of more size.
Miami and San Antonio would be Oden’s best chance to win a championship, and would provide less pressure for him to perform right away. The most recent NBA Finals foes can win in the regular season without Oden, and can thus allow him to work his way back into playing shape.
The Heat have managed to win two consecutive titles without a big man, but they were last in the NBA in rebounding last season and could certainly use some extra size. San Antonio’s Tim Duncan is also aging, and Oden could eat up some minutes for the Spurs to rest their future Hall of Famer for the playoffs.
Several reports over the last few months have suggest Oden is already in solid shape, and coupled with his obvious talents he could be a steal for any team. Oden was working out with fellow former Buckeye Deshaun Thomas before this year’s draft, and Thomas said Oden looked “unbelievable”, according to the Oregonian.
If Oden feels like he could start right away Dallas, Cleveland, and Charlotte would be ideal situations. Each needs a center to hold down the middle, especially the vastly undersized Bobcats who started 6-foot-9 Bismack Biyombo at center for 65 games last year.
Dallas and Cleveland were the last two teams in the chase for another injured but prized big man in Andrew Bynum. The Cavaliers reportedly won out, and now the Mavericks could be in the market for Oden in consolation. Strangely even with the signing of Bynum, the Cavs are still in the mix for Oden.
Still both teams are in the middle of a rebuild, and Oden may instead want to help a contending team right away.
Oden has battled knee injuries ever since the Portland Trailblazers selected him out of Ohio State just ahead of superstar Kevin Durant. Since 2007 he’s appeared in 82 of a possible 492 games, but when he did play Oden flashed his immense talents on the glass and on defense.
Before his latest injury in 2010, Oden played in 21 games that season, averaging 11.1 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown