Boston Bomber Suspect Pleads 'Not Guilty' To Worst Mass-Casualty Attack Since 9/11

  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0

By Jacob Cherian | July 11, 2013 6:12 PM EST

The man believed to be behind the Boston Marathon bombings, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, has pleaded not guilty to 30 charges of mass destruction against him.

This was his first court appearance, since his capture in April. At the time, legal proceedings took place at his bedside at the hospital where he was being treated for injuries.

Some of the victims of the bombings were present in the courtroom along with his two sisters.

Mr. Tsarnaev's brother Tamerian,26, was also a suspect in the bombings; he was killed in a police operation following the attacks.
Police officials said that Tarnaev ran over his brother while getting away in hijacked car. However, he was later found on April 19 on a boat in a residential area in Watertown, Massachusetts.

The interior of the boat contained Tsarnaev's thoughts about why he carried out the bombings.

One of his writings said, "The US Government is killing our innocent civilians" and "I can't stand to see such evil go unpunished," BBC News reported.

The two brothers come from a family of ethnic Muslims from Russia and had lived in the U.S. for about ten years.

In what appears to have been a surprise attack on Boston marathon runners, more than 250 people suffered injuries, when two DIY bombs made from pressure cookers, nails, and ball bearings detonated at the finish line.

The Boston Marathon has enjoyed a reputation as a premier event in the country. It was also a symbol of the spirit of America to overcome challenges.

The theme reflects the story of the Twin Towers in New York, which came down after two planes flew head on into the buildings.

The Boston marathon bombing was the first high casualty attack in the U.S. since the September 11th terror attacks in 2001. The terror group, AlQueda headed by Saudi national Osama bin Laden took responsibility for those attacks killing at least 5,000.

Tsarnaev was accused of downloading propaganda from Islamic fundamentalists who urged followers not to give in to countries that attack Muslim nations. He also read writings of Anwar-al-Awlaki, a U.S. citizen who was a top official in Al-Queda’s Yemen operations. He was killed in 2011 during a drone strike, reports The Boston Globe.

A recent report leaked by Al-Jazeera news agency said that bin Laden had been living in Pakistan for nearly ten years before his capture by a U.S. Navy Seal operation. The leaked report came as a blow to the Pakistan and U.S. governments with critics claiming he could have been caught earlier.

Similar extremists groups working with the same frame work of the 'Jihad' or the Holy War against U.S. policies include the taliban in Afghanistan and hezbollah in the Pallistinian territory.

To contact the editor, e-mail:

  • Rate this Story
  • 0
  • 0
This article is copyrighted by IBTimes.com.au, the business news leader

Join the Conversation

IBTimes TV
E-Newsletters

We value your privacy. Your email address will not be shared.