Tennis Legend John McEnroe Sees Murray Winning Incredible Grand Slam Haul
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 11, 2013 4:32 PM EST
Tennis legend John McEnroe believes there's brighter future ahead for Great Britain's Andy Murray, who recently became the first Englishman in 77 years to win the Wimbledon Open at All England Club.
McEnroe, a three-time Wimbledon Champ and seven-time Grand Slam winner, thinks Murray can win probably six more majors if he stays this sharp in the coming years.
"I'd be surprised if he doesn't win at least six majors. He's come into his own and there's a lot to look forward to. This is a big thing. This is a new face who has stepped up in a big way," McEnroe told BBC.
Murray has booked four consecutive final appearance of all Grand Slam tourney he participated and already won two majors, the other was the U.S. Open championship.
"It's clearly important for all of tennis, but here it's monumental. Every year people ask the same questions -- now he never has to hear Fred Perry's name again. When he pumped his fists at the end, I thought he was doing it to Tim Henman in the BBC commentary booth because he had some mutual respect for what Tim had done himself," said John.
McEnroe believes Murray has already made a name for himself and already conquered the ghost of Fred Perry, who was the last Briton to win a Grand Slam title before Murray's triumph last week.
"It's clearly important for all of tennis, but here it's monumental. Every year people ask the same questions -- now he never has to hear Fred Perry's name again. When he pumped his fists at the end, I thought he was doing it to Tim Henman in the BBC commentary booth because he had some mutual respect for what Tim had done himself," McEnroe said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James