Tennis Legend John McEnroe Sees Murray Winning Incredible Grand Slam Haul
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 11, 2013 4:32 PM EST
Tennis legend John McEnroe believes there's brighter future ahead for Great Britain's Andy Murray, who recently became the first Englishman in 77 years to win the Wimbledon Open at All England Club.
McEnroe, a three-time Wimbledon Champ and seven-time Grand Slam winner, thinks Murray can win probably six more majors if he stays this sharp in the coming years.
"I'd be surprised if he doesn't win at least six majors. He's come into his own and there's a lot to look forward to. This is a big thing. This is a new face who has stepped up in a big way," McEnroe told BBC.
Murray has booked four consecutive final appearance of all Grand Slam tourney he participated and already won two majors, the other was the U.S. Open championship.
"It's clearly important for all of tennis, but here it's monumental. Every year people ask the same questions -- now he never has to hear Fred Perry's name again. When he pumped his fists at the end, I thought he was doing it to Tim Henman in the BBC commentary booth because he had some mutual respect for what Tim had done himself," said John.
McEnroe believes Murray has already made a name for himself and already conquered the ghost of Fred Perry, who was the last Briton to win a Grand Slam title before Murray's triumph last week.
"It's clearly important for all of tennis, but here it's monumental. Every year people ask the same questions -- now he never has to hear Fred Perry's name again. When he pumped his fists at the end, I thought he was doing it to Tim Henman in the BBC commentary booth because he had some mutual respect for what Tim had done himself," McEnroe said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS