Tennis Legend John McEnroe Sees Murray Winning Incredible Grand Slam Haul
By Lou Ramon Aguila | July 11, 2013 4:32 PM EST
Tennis legend John McEnroe believes there's brighter future ahead for Great Britain's Andy Murray, who recently became the first Englishman in 77 years to win the Wimbledon Open at All England Club.
McEnroe, a three-time Wimbledon Champ and seven-time Grand Slam winner, thinks Murray can win probably six more majors if he stays this sharp in the coming years.
"I'd be surprised if he doesn't win at least six majors. He's come into his own and there's a lot to look forward to. This is a big thing. This is a new face who has stepped up in a big way," McEnroe told BBC.
Murray has booked four consecutive final appearance of all Grand Slam tourney he participated and already won two majors, the other was the U.S. Open championship.
"It's clearly important for all of tennis, but here it's monumental. Every year people ask the same questions -- now he never has to hear Fred Perry's name again. When he pumped his fists at the end, I thought he was doing it to Tim Henman in the BBC commentary booth because he had some mutual respect for what Tim had done himself," said John.
McEnroe believes Murray has already made a name for himself and already conquered the ghost of Fred Perry, who was the last Briton to win a Grand Slam title before Murray's triumph last week.
"It's clearly important for all of tennis, but here it's monumental. Every year people ask the same questions -- now he never has to hear Fred Perry's name again. When he pumped his fists at the end, I thought he was doing it to Tim Henman in the BBC commentary booth because he had some mutual respect for what Tim had done himself," McEnroe said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Update: 4 Feature Upgrades That Really Matter