US Texas Lawmaker Files Bill Against Schools’ Anti-Gun Paranoia
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 11, 2013 3:28 PM EST
For U.S. Texas lawmaker Rep Steve Stockman, punishing school children just because they are mimicking characters with imaginary weapons and want to save the world is already downright killing their right to play.
On Monday, Mr Stockman introduced a bill mandating the suspension of federal funding to schools that punish students for "harmless expressions of childhood play" like playing with imaginary guns.
Following the slew of untimed deaths due to gun violence in the U.S., many school administrations have become anti-gun paranoid.
In May, a child with ADHD was suspended from school for nibbling and shaping his Pop Tart pastry snack into a gun.
Then in June, students from Chase Lake Elementary School in Edmonds, Washington state were also suspended for bringing in and playing with Nerf toy guns, which were brought in school in the first place for a Science project.
But children need play, and of course, their imaginations are their very own source of recreation.
Mr Stockman's Student Protection Act, H.R. 2625, seeks to outlaw "harmless expressions of childhood play." He actually believed in fact that some schools' zero tolerance policy against guns are actually brainwashing students "to be afraid of inanimate objects that are shaped like guns."
"This government-sanctioned political correctness is traumatizing children and spreading irrational fear," the proposed bill stated.
All over the US, zero tolerance policies against guns have reached overboard interpretations on the part of school administrations.
In Nebraska, a 3-year-old deaf boy was irrationally punished because his name resembled a gun when spelled in sign language. In Colorado, a 7-year-old Colorado boy got suspended because he threw an imaginary hand grenade, while in Kentucky, a 14-year-old Kentucky got suspended because he wore a shirt to school that bore the logo of the National Rifle Association.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers