Ice Bar NYC: How To Beat New York Heat With Minus5 [PHOTOS]
July 11, 2013 8:39 AM EST
New Yorkers have been suffering through one of the most excruciating summers, but thanks to a new bar that opened in Midtown, beating the heat has just become a little easier. Minus5 ice bar just opened after the 4th of July, and get this: It’s so cold, patrons need a jacket and gloves to enter.
According to the ice bar’s website, the temperature inside is 23 degrees Fahrenheit, or minus 5 degrees Celsius, where the bar gets its chilly name. “Everything inside minus5° is made of ice; the walls, the bar, the sculptures, the seats and even the glasses that you enjoy our famous vodka-based cocktails in. Our focus at minus5° is the art of ice,” Minus5’s website states. “We have our own ice carver who changes the bar and sculptures every 6-8 weeks, continually re-inventing the experience. Sculptures can reflect the season, location, wildlife, or even corporate logos and products for private functions. The possibilities are endless.”
There’s a $20 cover to get in the bar, which includes gloves, insulated jackets and fur-lined boots. For an extra $15, guests can be upgraded to a faux fur coat. For big spenders, there’s a VIP package for $95, which includes upgraded coat and gloves, a specialty cocktail, a Russian hat for the keeping and a 5x7 photo. Professional photographers are on staff and one picture can be bought for $20 or three for $40.
So is it worth it? There’s definitely an awesome opportunity for some great photos and Instagram-style selfies, but not everyone will be willing to pay $20 just to get into a bar, especially when there are plenty to choose from that don’t charge a cover. On the other hand, Minus5 is one of the newest and coolest (pun intended) bars in NYC.
For those who are interested, check out Minus5 ice bar at 1335 Avenue of the Americas in New York City. Reservations aren’t required, but on busy Friday and Saturday nights, they're recommended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery