Ice Bar NYC: How To Beat New York Heat With Minus5 [PHOTOS]
July 11, 2013 8:39 AM EST
New Yorkers have been suffering through one of the most excruciating summers, but thanks to a new bar that opened in Midtown, beating the heat has just become a little easier. Minus5 ice bar just opened after the 4th of July, and get this: It’s so cold, patrons need a jacket and gloves to enter.
According to the ice bar’s website, the temperature inside is 23 degrees Fahrenheit, or minus 5 degrees Celsius, where the bar gets its chilly name. “Everything inside minus5° is made of ice; the walls, the bar, the sculptures, the seats and even the glasses that you enjoy our famous vodka-based cocktails in. Our focus at minus5° is the art of ice,” Minus5’s website states. “We have our own ice carver who changes the bar and sculptures every 6-8 weeks, continually re-inventing the experience. Sculptures can reflect the season, location, wildlife, or even corporate logos and products for private functions. The possibilities are endless.”
There’s a $20 cover to get in the bar, which includes gloves, insulated jackets and fur-lined boots. For an extra $15, guests can be upgraded to a faux fur coat. For big spenders, there’s a VIP package for $95, which includes upgraded coat and gloves, a specialty cocktail, a Russian hat for the keeping and a 5x7 photo. Professional photographers are on staff and one picture can be bought for $20 or three for $40.
So is it worth it? There’s definitely an awesome opportunity for some great photos and Instagram-style selfies, but not everyone will be willing to pay $20 just to get into a bar, especially when there are plenty to choose from that don’t charge a cover. On the other hand, Minus5 is one of the newest and coolest (pun intended) bars in NYC.
For those who are interested, check out Minus5 ice bar at 1335 Avenue of the Americas in New York City. Reservations aren’t required, but on busy Friday and Saturday nights, they're recommended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS