Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High Speed Rail Project Report Out by July end
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | July 10, 2013 8:29 PM EST
A feasibility report on the much-anticipated government planned high speed railway network between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore is expected by the end of this month.
Nancy Shukri, a minister from the Malaysian Prime Minister's office, revealed the details when asked by Parliament member Teresa Kok on Tuesday.
The Bernama website quoted Shukri as saying, "The study is done and the report is in its final stage of preparation. We expect the final report to be ready by end of July."
"The feasibility study comprises information including the engineering and technical aspects, costs, finances and operations, as well as the project's socio-economic benefits," she said, according to The Star.
The minister added the railway link which would connect Kuala Lumpur to Singapore will link towns like Klang Valley, Negri Sembilan, Malacca and Johor in the process, and tenders will be thrown open by the year end.
"As for the awarding of the tender, I believe the Government will consider the best mechanism according to existing procedures and guidelines," she said.
Three firms have shown interest in the High Speed Rail (HSR). The firms are UEM, directed by government investment arm Khazanah Nasional, Malaysian tycoon Syed Moktar Al-Bukhary backed MMC Gamuda and YTL Corp which had previously constructed the express rail link to the KL International Airport.
The HSR project was proposed in February this year with approval from Malaysia Prime Minister Daruk Najib Razak and his Singapore counterpart Lee Hsien Loong.
The 330km project, which will reduce the travel time from one capital to another to a mere 90 minutes, is expected to be completed by 2020.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Countries That Make The Best Beer
- 5 Countries That Produce The Best Wine
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reveals Baby Bump In Photos: Duchess Calls Of Malta Trip And Duke To Take Charge
- Russian Union Of Engineers Point To Ukraine Airforce As Responsible For MH17 Crash
- Economy Travel Not So Anymore with Air Canada, Starts Charging C$25 Checked Bag Fee
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- Chinese Property Developer Flees To New Zealand After China Arrests Vice-Mayor For Corrupt Deals
- Amazon Announces 7 New Kindles: Upgraded Amazon 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HDX Available Now On Pre-order