Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High Speed Rail Project Report Out by July end
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | July 10, 2013 8:29 PM EST
A feasibility report on the much-anticipated government planned high speed railway network between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore is expected by the end of this month.
Nancy Shukri, a minister from the Malaysian Prime Minister's office, revealed the details when asked by Parliament member Teresa Kok on Tuesday.
The Bernama website quoted Shukri as saying, "The study is done and the report is in its final stage of preparation. We expect the final report to be ready by end of July."
"The feasibility study comprises information including the engineering and technical aspects, costs, finances and operations, as well as the project's socio-economic benefits," she said, according to The Star.
The minister added the railway link which would connect Kuala Lumpur to Singapore will link towns like Klang Valley, Negri Sembilan, Malacca and Johor in the process, and tenders will be thrown open by the year end.
"As for the awarding of the tender, I believe the Government will consider the best mechanism according to existing procedures and guidelines," she said.
Three firms have shown interest in the High Speed Rail (HSR). The firms are UEM, directed by government investment arm Khazanah Nasional, Malaysian tycoon Syed Moktar Al-Bukhary backed MMC Gamuda and YTL Corp which had previously constructed the express rail link to the KL International Airport.
The HSR project was proposed in February this year with approval from Malaysia Prime Minister Daruk Najib Razak and his Singapore counterpart Lee Hsien Loong.
The 330km project, which will reduce the travel time from one capital to another to a mere 90 minutes, is expected to be completed by 2020.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans