WATCH: Lindsay Lohan Stars in Erotic Thriller The Canyons; Misbehaves On Set (VIDEO)
By Ria Kristina Torrente | July 10, 2013 2:20 PM EST
Lindsay Lohan stars with adult-film actor James Deen in The Canyons, a neo-noir erotic thriller directed by Paul Schrader.
The Canyons centre around the young movie producer Christian (Deen) who makes films to keep his trust fund intact and his actress girlfriend Tara (Lohan) who tries to hide her love affair with another actor from her past. When Christian discovers the truth, they get involved into "a violent tour through the dark side of human nature."
The film's budget was partly raised through crowd-funding site Kickstarter. It received heavy media coverage due to its sexually-charged plot and also because of Lohan's involvement in the project. Distinguished novelist Bret Easton Ellis penned the script.
Schrader praised Lohan for her talent comparing the troubled actress to Marilyn Monroe. “I think Lohan has more natural acting talent than Monroe did, but, like Monroe, her weakness is her inability to fake it," he wrote in his piece for Film Comment.
The director also noted that he still feels it was a "treat" working with Lohan despite her “tardiness, unpredictability, tantrums, absences, neediness, psychodrama."
“All the drama, the mishegas, all the stress—that means little. A director can shoot around misbehavior. He can’t shoot around lack of charisma,” he said.
According to a source interviewed by Radar, Lohan "knew she was going to be portrayed negatively in the story, even though she was assured that it wasn’t going to focus on her, but would be about how hard it was to make an independent film. However, Schrader told Lindsay, in no uncertain terms, that if she didn’t cooperate with Rodrick she would be fired.”
The New York Times reporter revealed that Lohan was paid “$100 a day and an equal share of the profits” with no decisive powers in the making of the film. Her contract also stipulated that the sex scenes were non-negotiable. One scene features the troubled actress with James Deen and two other actors in a steamy action.
Schrader expressed, “I just wish it was easier for Lindsay.”
The Canyons will have its world premiere at the Film Society of Lincoln Center in Manhattan on July 29. A video-on-demand will be available on August 2.
The Australian release date for the film is yet to be confirmed.
Watch the trailer below:
See other trailers of controversial films this year:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- Nina Dobrev Moves On From Ian Somerhalder: ‘TVD’ Actress Trying To Reconcile With Ex, ‘DWTS’ Star Derek Hough—Report Suggests
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ Season 11 Premiere (Episode 1) Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘I Must Have Lost It On The Wind'
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best