Jimmer Fredette Trade News: Cavaliers Interested In Former BYU Sharpshooter? Kings Want Mata Ellis? [NBA Rumors]
July 10, 2013 3:36 AM EST
In his two years in the NBA, Jimmer Fredette has been buried on the Sacramento Kings bench. That could change very soon as the club is, reportedly, shopping the BYU graduate.
According to Marc Stein of ESPN, Sacramento is looking to trade Fredette and Chuck Hayes. The Kings want to clear room under the salary cap in hopes of signing Monta Ellis. With players like Dwight Howard, Josh Smith and Chris Paul reaching deals with their respective teams, Ellis may be the best available free agent.
If the Kings can add Ellis, it wouldn’t make much sense for them to keep Fredette on the roster. The team already has a lot of guards, and Fredette would get even less playing time with Ellis in the backcourt. After losing Tyreke Evans to the New Orleans Pelicans, Ellis would become Sacramento’s No.1 scoring option. With the team adding Ben McLemore in the draft, there isn’t much room for Fredette to contribute.
Since being selected 10th overall in the 2011 NBA Draft, Fredette has been considered a bust by many around the league. Despite being taken in the lottery, he’s averaging just 7.4 points, 1.1 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in his career. However, the guard hasn’t been given much of a chance to succeed.
In his sophomore campaign, Fredette’s minutes per game decreased from 18.6 to 14.0. He was healthy throughout the 2013 season, but didn’t play in a dozen games. The 24-year-old could be considered a valuable commodity to a team that is willing to give him more playing time.
The Cleveland Cavaliers have, reportedly, shown interest in Fredette. A trade to the Eastern Conference could do wonders for the sharpshooter, who made 42.1 percent of his attempts from three-point range. Playing behind a starting backcourt of Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters, Fredette’s ability to hit jump shots could be the perfect complement for the upstart Cavs.
Trades can’t officially be executed until Wednesday. The Kings are expected to send Evans to the Pelicans in a three-team deal that will land them Grevis Vasquez. Robin Lopez and Terrel Harris will go to the Portland Trail Blazers, according to USA Today. Sacramento may then follow suit with a few more deals, in order to sign Ellis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]