Jimmer Fredette Trade News: Cavaliers Interested In Former BYU Sharpshooter? Kings Want Mata Ellis? [NBA Rumors]
July 10, 2013 3:36 AM EST
In his two years in the NBA, Jimmer Fredette has been buried on the Sacramento Kings bench. That could change very soon as the club is, reportedly, shopping the BYU graduate.
According to Marc Stein of ESPN, Sacramento is looking to trade Fredette and Chuck Hayes. The Kings want to clear room under the salary cap in hopes of signing Monta Ellis. With players like Dwight Howard, Josh Smith and Chris Paul reaching deals with their respective teams, Ellis may be the best available free agent.
If the Kings can add Ellis, it wouldn’t make much sense for them to keep Fredette on the roster. The team already has a lot of guards, and Fredette would get even less playing time with Ellis in the backcourt. After losing Tyreke Evans to the New Orleans Pelicans, Ellis would become Sacramento’s No.1 scoring option. With the team adding Ben McLemore in the draft, there isn’t much room for Fredette to contribute.
Since being selected 10th overall in the 2011 NBA Draft, Fredette has been considered a bust by many around the league. Despite being taken in the lottery, he’s averaging just 7.4 points, 1.1 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in his career. However, the guard hasn’t been given much of a chance to succeed.
In his sophomore campaign, Fredette’s minutes per game decreased from 18.6 to 14.0. He was healthy throughout the 2013 season, but didn’t play in a dozen games. The 24-year-old could be considered a valuable commodity to a team that is willing to give him more playing time.
The Cleveland Cavaliers have, reportedly, shown interest in Fredette. A trade to the Eastern Conference could do wonders for the sharpshooter, who made 42.1 percent of his attempts from three-point range. Playing behind a starting backcourt of Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters, Fredette’s ability to hit jump shots could be the perfect complement for the upstart Cavs.
Trades can’t officially be executed until Wednesday. The Kings are expected to send Evans to the Pelicans in a three-team deal that will land them Grevis Vasquez. Robin Lopez and Terrel Harris will go to the Portland Trail Blazers, according to USA Today. Sacramento may then follow suit with a few more deals, in order to sign Ellis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports