Jimmer Fredette Trade News: Cavaliers Interested In Former BYU Sharpshooter? Kings Want Mata Ellis? [NBA Rumors]
July 10, 2013 3:36 AM EST
In his two years in the NBA, Jimmer Fredette has been buried on the Sacramento Kings bench. That could change very soon as the club is, reportedly, shopping the BYU graduate.
According to Marc Stein of ESPN, Sacramento is looking to trade Fredette and Chuck Hayes. The Kings want to clear room under the salary cap in hopes of signing Monta Ellis. With players like Dwight Howard, Josh Smith and Chris Paul reaching deals with their respective teams, Ellis may be the best available free agent.
If the Kings can add Ellis, it wouldn’t make much sense for them to keep Fredette on the roster. The team already has a lot of guards, and Fredette would get even less playing time with Ellis in the backcourt. After losing Tyreke Evans to the New Orleans Pelicans, Ellis would become Sacramento’s No.1 scoring option. With the team adding Ben McLemore in the draft, there isn’t much room for Fredette to contribute.
Since being selected 10th overall in the 2011 NBA Draft, Fredette has been considered a bust by many around the league. Despite being taken in the lottery, he’s averaging just 7.4 points, 1.1 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in his career. However, the guard hasn’t been given much of a chance to succeed.
In his sophomore campaign, Fredette’s minutes per game decreased from 18.6 to 14.0. He was healthy throughout the 2013 season, but didn’t play in a dozen games. The 24-year-old could be considered a valuable commodity to a team that is willing to give him more playing time.
The Cleveland Cavaliers have, reportedly, shown interest in Fredette. A trade to the Eastern Conference could do wonders for the sharpshooter, who made 42.1 percent of his attempts from three-point range. Playing behind a starting backcourt of Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters, Fredette’s ability to hit jump shots could be the perfect complement for the upstart Cavs.
Trades can’t officially be executed until Wednesday. The Kings are expected to send Evans to the Pelicans in a three-team deal that will land them Grevis Vasquez. Robin Lopez and Terrel Harris will go to the Portland Trail Blazers, according to USA Today. Sacramento may then follow suit with a few more deals, in order to sign Ellis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage