Jimmer Fredette Trade News: Cavaliers Interested In Former BYU Sharpshooter? Kings Want Mata Ellis? [NBA Rumors]
July 10, 2013 3:36 AM EST
In his two years in the NBA, Jimmer Fredette has been buried on the Sacramento Kings bench. That could change very soon as the club is, reportedly, shopping the BYU graduate.
According to Marc Stein of ESPN, Sacramento is looking to trade Fredette and Chuck Hayes. The Kings want to clear room under the salary cap in hopes of signing Monta Ellis. With players like Dwight Howard, Josh Smith and Chris Paul reaching deals with their respective teams, Ellis may be the best available free agent.
If the Kings can add Ellis, it wouldn’t make much sense for them to keep Fredette on the roster. The team already has a lot of guards, and Fredette would get even less playing time with Ellis in the backcourt. After losing Tyreke Evans to the New Orleans Pelicans, Ellis would become Sacramento’s No.1 scoring option. With the team adding Ben McLemore in the draft, there isn’t much room for Fredette to contribute.
Since being selected 10th overall in the 2011 NBA Draft, Fredette has been considered a bust by many around the league. Despite being taken in the lottery, he’s averaging just 7.4 points, 1.1 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in his career. However, the guard hasn’t been given much of a chance to succeed.
In his sophomore campaign, Fredette’s minutes per game decreased from 18.6 to 14.0. He was healthy throughout the 2013 season, but didn’t play in a dozen games. The 24-year-old could be considered a valuable commodity to a team that is willing to give him more playing time.
The Cleveland Cavaliers have, reportedly, shown interest in Fredette. A trade to the Eastern Conference could do wonders for the sharpshooter, who made 42.1 percent of his attempts from three-point range. Playing behind a starting backcourt of Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters, Fredette’s ability to hit jump shots could be the perfect complement for the upstart Cavs.
Trades can’t officially be executed until Wednesday. The Kings are expected to send Evans to the Pelicans in a three-team deal that will land them Grevis Vasquez. Robin Lopez and Terrel Harris will go to the Portland Trail Blazers, according to USA Today. Sacramento may then follow suit with a few more deals, in order to sign Ellis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues