Jimmer Fredette Trade News: Cavaliers Interested In Former BYU Sharpshooter? Kings Want Mata Ellis? [NBA Rumors]
July 10, 2013 3:36 AM EST
In his two years in the NBA, Jimmer Fredette has been buried on the Sacramento Kings bench. That could change very soon as the club is, reportedly, shopping the BYU graduate.
According to Marc Stein of ESPN, Sacramento is looking to trade Fredette and Chuck Hayes. The Kings want to clear room under the salary cap in hopes of signing Monta Ellis. With players like Dwight Howard, Josh Smith and Chris Paul reaching deals with their respective teams, Ellis may be the best available free agent.
If the Kings can add Ellis, it wouldn’t make much sense for them to keep Fredette on the roster. The team already has a lot of guards, and Fredette would get even less playing time with Ellis in the backcourt. After losing Tyreke Evans to the New Orleans Pelicans, Ellis would become Sacramento’s No.1 scoring option. With the team adding Ben McLemore in the draft, there isn’t much room for Fredette to contribute.
Since being selected 10th overall in the 2011 NBA Draft, Fredette has been considered a bust by many around the league. Despite being taken in the lottery, he’s averaging just 7.4 points, 1.1 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game in his career. However, the guard hasn’t been given much of a chance to succeed.
In his sophomore campaign, Fredette’s minutes per game decreased from 18.6 to 14.0. He was healthy throughout the 2013 season, but didn’t play in a dozen games. The 24-year-old could be considered a valuable commodity to a team that is willing to give him more playing time.
The Cleveland Cavaliers have, reportedly, shown interest in Fredette. A trade to the Eastern Conference could do wonders for the sharpshooter, who made 42.1 percent of his attempts from three-point range. Playing behind a starting backcourt of Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters, Fredette’s ability to hit jump shots could be the perfect complement for the upstart Cavs.
Trades can’t officially be executed until Wednesday. The Kings are expected to send Evans to the Pelicans in a three-team deal that will land them Grevis Vasquez. Robin Lopez and Terrel Harris will go to the Portland Trail Blazers, according to USA Today. Sacramento may then follow suit with a few more deals, in order to sign Ellis.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon