Alligator Bites Andrew Hudson On The Head, Florida Teen Thought Reptile Was A Log [PHOTOS]
July 10, 2013 3:03 AM EST
A Florida teenager thought he kicked a log while swimming in a Florida state park, but he was mistaken. He had in fact disturbed a nearly 10-foot long alligator.
Andrew Hudson, 17, of Winter Springs, Fla., tried to swim as fast as he could before he was attacked by the alligator that bit him on his head. Hudson managed to make it to shore where he was eventually treated at a nearby hospital, WFTV reports.
"He kicked and started punching the gator," Mark O'Shea, a witness, told WFTV.com. "That's what he told me [happened] when he was under the water."
Hudson said the alligator came from behind and pulled him underwater. "It just came up behind me. I didn't see one all day in there and then it just came up behind me and I felt it and I started freaking out and swam as fast as I could," he told the Associated Press.
The attack took place Monday at Little Big Econ State Forest in Geneva, Fla. Hudson told Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission investigators that he was aware of alligators in the park’s rivers but had never seen one before.
Hudson was transported to a Seminole County hospital where he was treated for puncture wounds on his head, AP reports. On the scene paramedics helped bandage Hudson’s head.
"They looked at me like I was crazy. I'm like, 'My friend really got bit by an alligator,'" O'Shea said.
When alligators attack they tend to latch onto their prey and initiate a “death roll” in an attempt to drown its target. Discovery News suggests if the attack takes place on land, to run and in water, to fight back.
"It could have been a lot worse than what it was," O'Shea said about Hudson’s attack. "He has some luck on him."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James