Guyana US Consular Officer Accused of Selling Visas for Sex
By Ewan Palmer | July 9, 2013 10:29 PM EST
The US State Department has launched an investigation into claims that an official based in the embassy in Guyana has been exchanging visas for sex and bribes.
According the Daily Caller, the official, identified as Edy Duran, has been accused of selling visas to corrupt businessmen and drug dealers for between $15,000 and $40,000 (£10,000 - £26,000).
Local media also reports that there was "sufficient" evidence that the 42-year-old exchanged visas for sex while working in the Guyanese capital of Georgetown.
Duran has also been accused of working with people traffickers in neighbouring Surinam to give Chinese migrants US visas.
AFP quoted a Guyanese official saying: "[Duran] had negotiated to sell visas for as much as $40,000, using a popular restaurant and bar in Georgetown, the capital of this former British colony, to seal the deals".
A spokesman for the embassy said: "The Department of State is aware of allegations of improprieties relating to a consular officer formerly assigned to Georgetown.
"The department takes all allegations of misconduct by employees seriously. We are reviewing the matter thoroughly.
"If the allegations are substantiated, we will work with the relevant authorities to hold anyone involved accountable."
Duran has reportedly been removed from his role at the embassy, two months before his tour of duty was due to end. He has returned to his home town of Falls Church, Virginia.
In 2000, US embassy employer Thomas Carroll was jailed for selling 800 visas from Georgetown for about $15,000 each.
He was released from prison in June.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Woman Posts Ad for Herself As 'Professional Bridesmaid' On Craigslist
- Mass Panic Over Houston's 'Blinking Lights' in the Sky; UFO Sceptics Still Not Convinced
- Social Gap Between New Zealand Ethnic Groups 'Worsening'
- Autistic Business Owners Capitalize On Strengths For Success
- Food Finger Condoms Turns A Huge Hit In Korea
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports