Guyana US Consular Officer Accused of Selling Visas for Sex
By Ewan Palmer | July 9, 2013 10:29 PM EST
The US State Department has launched an investigation into claims that an official based in the embassy in Guyana has been exchanging visas for sex and bribes.
According the Daily Caller, the official, identified as Edy Duran, has been accused of selling visas to corrupt businessmen and drug dealers for between $15,000 and $40,000 (£10,000 - £26,000).
Local media also reports that there was "sufficient" evidence that the 42-year-old exchanged visas for sex while working in the Guyanese capital of Georgetown.
Duran has also been accused of working with people traffickers in neighbouring Surinam to give Chinese migrants US visas.
AFP quoted a Guyanese official saying: "[Duran] had negotiated to sell visas for as much as $40,000, using a popular restaurant and bar in Georgetown, the capital of this former British colony, to seal the deals".
A spokesman for the embassy said: "The Department of State is aware of allegations of improprieties relating to a consular officer formerly assigned to Georgetown.
"The department takes all allegations of misconduct by employees seriously. We are reviewing the matter thoroughly.
"If the allegations are substantiated, we will work with the relevant authorities to hold anyone involved accountable."
Duran has reportedly been removed from his role at the embassy, two months before his tour of duty was due to end. He has returned to his home town of Falls Church, Virginia.
In 2000, US embassy employer Thomas Carroll was jailed for selling 800 visas from Georgetown for about $15,000 each.
He was released from prison in June.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks