Viral Videos: Swedish Gamer Channel PewDiePie Logs 50 Million Hits in YouTube; Beats Weekly Views of Psy, Miley Cyrus
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 9, 2013 12:57 PM EST
The shared gaming moments of 23-year-old Swedish gamer Felix Kjellberg through his PewDiePie channel are the most viewed videos the past week, garnering almost 50 million hits.
The views for the week June 27 to July 3, monitored by Tubefilter, said the gaming videos in PewDiePie channel topped the Turkish music video channel Muyap, which got 45.6 million hits), and games channel Sky Does Minecraft, that got 3.5 million hits.
PewDiePie was also ahead of Psy, who got 27.6 million views for the week that landed him on fourth place, and Samsung Mobile USA (25 million), One Direction (22.3 million), Arab Idol (21.6 million) and Miley Cyrus (19.1 million).
Here is a sample of PewDiePie gaming videos that got more than 22 million views so far.
Because of the channel's success, Mr Kjellberg added 349,000 new subscribers in the last week, bringing his total subscribers to 9.8 million. Given the rate he is adding subscribers, Mr Kjellberg would likely breach the 10 million mark this July, in the process threatening to catch up with comedy channel Smosh, which has 11.1 million subscribers.
Given the fast growth of the Swedish kid's game channel, his all-time views reached 1.9 billion for PewDiePie, while SkyDoesMinecraft's hit 892 million, beating the 1.7 billion views of South Korean singer Psy's Gangnam Style video.
Game channels in YouTube such as PewDiePie appeal to young viewers, whom Google classified as Gen C based on their online habits of creation, curation, connection and community. Google, the owner of YouTube, said Gen C members are twice as likely to be YouTube viewers and 40 per cent likely to be light TV viewers since 80 per cent of them watch YouTube on their smartphones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists