Heroine: Very Preggy Wife of Filipino Boxing Champ Nonito Donaire Jr Saves Drowning Kid
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 8, 2013 1:46 AM EST
Heroism appears to run in the Filipino-American couple Nonito Jr. and Rachel Donaire. While Nonito, the boxer, slugs it out in the ring to win medals for the country, his pregnant wife jumped into waters on Thursday to save a drowning boy.
Rachel Donaire did not mind the risk to her pregnancy even if she was on her 9th month of pregnancy. It is the couple's first child.
Reports said that Nonito, who was ESPN's Boxer of the Year in 2012 but lost to Guillermo Rigondeaux in April 2013, initially twitted that his preggy wife was admitted to the emergency room for fetal monitoring. She was due to give birth in 17 days.
"During 4th of July, a friend's son disappeared underneath the water. Rachel didn't hesitate to jump in to save the child but injured herself in the process ... She moved so quickly it scare me," Nonito tweeted.
After admission into the hospital, Rachel suffered from a sharp pain when she woke up and was found to have a strained ligament. However, the unborn baby - a boy, according to tests - is safe.
Following the incident, three Filipino congressmen said they will file a resolution in Congress to recognise Rachel's heroic act.
"The Donaire couple is truly a source of pride and inspiration for all of us Filipinos. This news that Rachel risked her own life to save another person's life is an exceptional display of courage of heroism," Pep.ph quoted Davao Rep. Karlo Alexei Nograles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales