Heroine: Very Preggy Wife of Filipino Boxing Champ Nonito Donaire Jr Saves Drowning Kid
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 8, 2013 1:46 AM EST
Heroism appears to run in the Filipino-American couple Nonito Jr. and Rachel Donaire. While Nonito, the boxer, slugs it out in the ring to win medals for the country, his pregnant wife jumped into waters on Thursday to save a drowning boy.
Rachel Donaire did not mind the risk to her pregnancy even if she was on her 9th month of pregnancy. It is the couple's first child.
Reports said that Nonito, who was ESPN's Boxer of the Year in 2012 but lost to Guillermo Rigondeaux in April 2013, initially twitted that his preggy wife was admitted to the emergency room for fetal monitoring. She was due to give birth in 17 days.
"During 4th of July, a friend's son disappeared underneath the water. Rachel didn't hesitate to jump in to save the child but injured herself in the process ... She moved so quickly it scare me," Nonito tweeted.
After admission into the hospital, Rachel suffered from a sharp pain when she woke up and was found to have a strained ligament. However, the unborn baby - a boy, according to tests - is safe.
Following the incident, three Filipino congressmen said they will file a resolution in Congress to recognise Rachel's heroic act.
"The Donaire couple is truly a source of pride and inspiration for all of us Filipinos. This news that Rachel risked her own life to save another person's life is an exceptional display of courage of heroism," Pep.ph quoted Davao Rep. Karlo Alexei Nograles.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Manchester United Owners Set To Sell Club In £3B Deal After Acquiring Cristiano Ronaldo, Report Says
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes