Pregnancy of 11-Year-Old Rape Victim Sparks Abortion Debates in Chile (VIDEO)
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 6, 2013 5:24 PM EST
Chileans are hotly debating whether to allow an 11-year-old rape victim to abort her baby or not. The pre-teener, named in media as Belen, was raped by the partner of her mother and is now 14 weeks pregnant.
The rapist has been arrested and admitted abusing the girl who is only in fifth grade.
Chile used to allow abortions for medical reasons but outlawed the procedure in 1973 during the term of General Augusto Pinochet, while the current conservative government of President Sebastian Pinera is against lifting the restriction.
In 2013, the Senate turned down three bills proposing the easing of the absolute ban on abortions.
Doctors had warned that the foetus is at high risk, but they could not perform an abortion. This has prompted a number of Chileans to push in social media for legalisation to allow terminating pregnancy for rape cases or when the health of the mother is at risk.
One of those who signed an ongoing online petition to legalise abortion is Eduardo Hernandez, a web designer. He explained to AP, "When I heard about this little girl my first reaction was to support abortion because I think it's the best option in this case."
"It's the first online petition I've signed in my life, but I think this case really deserves it. We should have a law. I hope this case serves as precedent to have a serious discussion about abortion."
In contrast, a New Mexico legislator is threatening to file a lawsuit against females in her state who are in a similar situation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports