Pregnancy of 11-Year-Old Rape Victim Sparks Abortion Debates in Chile (VIDEO)
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 6, 2013 5:24 PM EST
Chileans are hotly debating whether to allow an 11-year-old rape victim to abort her baby or not. The pre-teener, named in media as Belen, was raped by the partner of her mother and is now 14 weeks pregnant.
The rapist has been arrested and admitted abusing the girl who is only in fifth grade.
Chile used to allow abortions for medical reasons but outlawed the procedure in 1973 during the term of General Augusto Pinochet, while the current conservative government of President Sebastian Pinera is against lifting the restriction.
In 2013, the Senate turned down three bills proposing the easing of the absolute ban on abortions.
Doctors had warned that the foetus is at high risk, but they could not perform an abortion. This has prompted a number of Chileans to push in social media for legalisation to allow terminating pregnancy for rape cases or when the health of the mother is at risk.
One of those who signed an ongoing online petition to legalise abortion is Eduardo Hernandez, a web designer. He explained to AP, "When I heard about this little girl my first reaction was to support abortion because I think it's the best option in this case."
"It's the first online petition I've signed in my life, but I think this case really deserves it. We should have a law. I hope this case serves as precedent to have a serious discussion about abortion."
In contrast, a New Mexico legislator is threatening to file a lawsuit against females in her state who are in a similar situation.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones