Green Algae Takes Over Yellow Sea In China; Toxic Gas Covers More Than 11,000 Miles Of Beach [PHOTO]
July 6, 2013 3:38 AM EST
An annual phenomenon taking over beaches in China has its residents seeing green this summer.
Caused by what researchers say is local industry and agriculture pollution, the green algae (scientific name Enteromorpha prolifera), has resulted in the foul-smelling mass taking over parts of China's Yellow Sea.
According to a report from the Guardian, officials have removed 7,335 tons of the algae recently in an attempt to control the growth after beach-goers in the nearby city of Qingdao have remain unaffected by the disturbance. See photos of locals swimming in the green algae here.
The event, which has occurred in the same region over the past six years, always during the summer, has grown exponentially since its last noteable interference in 2008. This year's growth is reportedly double in size, measuring in at more than 11,158 square miles.
While strange in appearance, the algae is reportedly nontoxic to humans but can, however, leave behind the toxic gas hydrogen sulphide. According to a report from the Daily Mail, crews are working to remove the algae as the toxicity is caused if it is left to decompose. NTD-TV reports the algae can be harmful to the ocean's creatures as large amounts can consume oxygen, therefore threatening marine life.
Researcher with the Univeristy of Cambridge's EnAlgae project Dr. Brenda Parker said it is believed that the algae-growth is linked to pollution. "That would probaly be an indactor that something is a little bit unbalanced," Parker told the Guardian, regarding the recent increase in space the algae has covered.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones