Nicolas Sarkozy Enraged at Top Court’s €11m Rebate Reduction
By Umberto Bacchi | July 5, 2013 3:55 AM EST
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has resigned from the country's top constitutional court after the same court denied him an €11m (£8.5m) refund for election costs incurred during his 2012 campaign.
The Constitutional Council said the conservative leader had exceeded legal spending limits for the presidential campaign by just over 2% and therefore was not eligible for nearly half the claim.
"After the decision of the Constitutional Council, and facing the seriousness of the situation and the consequences it bears for the opposition and democracy, Nicolas Sarkozy resigns immediately from the Constitutional Council to get his freedom of speech back," he said.
Under French regulations presidential candidates are due a rebate for electoral campaign costs. However, the French electoral finance watchdog ruled that he had gone 2.1% over the spending limit, as his campaign against Francois Hollande had cost €22.9m - €466,118 more than allowed.
As a consequence he will lose 47.5% of the rebate and will also have to pay back the state some €153,000 he already received.
The decision was a blow to his UMP party which is already locked in a leadership squabble between former prime minister Francois Fillon and party secretary-general Jean-François Copé.
The former president had recently aired the possibility of a political comeback to revive the UMP.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How