Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie or "K Release" Build Will be Released in October 2013, Featuring Major Optimisation to Both Low-Cost and High-End Devices
By Ryan Inoyori | July 4, 2013 2:40 PM EST
Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is expected to be released in October 2013 and reports say that the upcoming software version will support older and low-cost devices to prevent fragmentation between Android smartphones and tablets.
Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie and K Release Build
WallStreetJournal reported the Google's upcoming plans include a "K release" in fall as the company "wraps up development on the next version of Android." "K release" refers the famous Android 5.0 aka Key Lime Pie which will refresh the Android OS environment. Recently, Google released the source code of Android 4.3 Jelly Bean featuring major bugs fixes and some additions not found in previous Jelly Bean versions.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition and Snapdragon-powered variant were found compatible with Android 4.3 and will be available soon to other flagship devices such as HTC One and Sony Xperia Z in 2013. Moreover, Nexus devices, including Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 could receive push update of Android 4.3 once Google officially releases it publicly. The iteration of Android devices are now being finalised by Google.
Older and Low-Cost Devices will be Made Compatible with Android 5.0
Included in the report released by WallStreetJournal, Android 5.0 will be made customised to suit low-cost smartphones and not exclusive anymore to high-end devices. Google has been making a lot of noise to bring affordable Internet connection to billions that currently do not support proper Web connectivity.
This may also mean that older phones released 2-3 years ago will become qualified to run Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie. It will incredibly increase popularity and market share of Android devices if the major software update has a tailor-made version for low-end smartphones and tablets.
Android 5.0 Opens Door for Expansion
Google is thinking to expand again and plans to target other electronic devices such as appliances and computers; making the Android OS limitless.
"With the next release of Android this fall, Google is also moving more aggressively to use the software in additional kinds of devices, including laptops and appliances such as refrigerators," included to the report of WallStreetJournal.
"According to Google, the majority of Android devices currently being used rely on a version of the software released in 2011 that has fewer capabilities than newer releases. Some industry experts say that the most recent versions of Android are better for higher-end devices than lower-end or older one that had, for instance, 512MB of memory."
The only way to solve this crisis about compatibility and stability among Android devices is to come up with an Android OS version optimised to all kinds, whether high-end or low-end.
The Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie major feature would be the "optimised factor" not found on earlier versions of the OS, and its release, according to Google, would be a "remedy to the issue of RAM restrictions for older devices and freedom of developers to optimise their apps for all Android devices no matter what version it runs."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]