Yarnell Hill Fire In Central Arizona Contained Eight Percent, Full Containment Of Fire That Killed 19 Firefighters Expected By July 12
July 3, 2013 2:54 PM EST
The Yarnell Hill fire, which has been blazing since Friday in central Arizona, has been contained by about eight percent, and officials believe full containment can be achieved only by July 12, Phoenix Arizona News reported on Tuesday night.
The fire has so far spread to 8,400 acres but favorable climate with low winds helped firefighters make progress in fighting the fire on Tuesday.
"Right now we are really pleased to see that. We had a very productive day today," Incident Commander Clay Templin, told the Phoenix Arizona News, adding that Wednesday’s efforts will be focused on preventing the fire from crossing the north, south and east flanks.
However, strong winds could still cause the fire to spread, Templin said, adding residents have been asked to be patient and not move back into their homes until the fire is fully contained.
The fire is “really tame, with not a lot of flames, but hot embers would catch on fire if the wind blows right. The wind is still the enemy,” he told the paper. “The potential for the fire to pick up and run again is extreme. All of the fuels for this fire are extremely dry.’’
About 596 firefighters were trying to contain the fire on Tuesday and more are expected to join in on Wednesday, Suzanne Flory, a Forest Service spokesperson told the Phoenix Arizona News.
The Yarnell Hill fire, which claimed the lives of 19 firefighters on Sunday, has affected the communities of Yarnell and Peeples Valley, located about 80 miles to the northwest of Phoenix, and burned an estimated 250 structures.
A team of federal fire investigators were expected to arrive on Tuesday to determine what caused the deaths of the 19 firefighters, USA Today reported, adding that they will start examining the scene of death on Wednesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS