Yarnell Hill Fire In Central Arizona Contained Eight Percent, Full Containment Of Fire That Killed 19 Firefighters Expected By July 12
July 3, 2013 2:54 PM EST
The Yarnell Hill fire, which has been blazing since Friday in central Arizona, has been contained by about eight percent, and officials believe full containment can be achieved only by July 12, Phoenix Arizona News reported on Tuesday night.
The fire has so far spread to 8,400 acres but favorable climate with low winds helped firefighters make progress in fighting the fire on Tuesday.
"Right now we are really pleased to see that. We had a very productive day today," Incident Commander Clay Templin, told the Phoenix Arizona News, adding that Wednesday’s efforts will be focused on preventing the fire from crossing the north, south and east flanks.
However, strong winds could still cause the fire to spread, Templin said, adding residents have been asked to be patient and not move back into their homes until the fire is fully contained.
The fire is “really tame, with not a lot of flames, but hot embers would catch on fire if the wind blows right. The wind is still the enemy,” he told the paper. “The potential for the fire to pick up and run again is extreme. All of the fuels for this fire are extremely dry.’’
About 596 firefighters were trying to contain the fire on Tuesday and more are expected to join in on Wednesday, Suzanne Flory, a Forest Service spokesperson told the Phoenix Arizona News.
The Yarnell Hill fire, which claimed the lives of 19 firefighters on Sunday, has affected the communities of Yarnell and Peeples Valley, located about 80 miles to the northwest of Phoenix, and burned an estimated 250 structures.
A team of federal fire investigators were expected to arrive on Tuesday to determine what caused the deaths of the 19 firefighters, USA Today reported, adding that they will start examining the scene of death on Wednesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate