Luna Park At Coney Island Evacuated Due To Swaying Astro Tower, FDNY Calls Structure 'Unstable'
July 3, 2013 9:11 AM EST
Part of Coney Island in Brooklyn, N.Y., was evacuated Tuesday following reports that the Astro Tower ride was swaying.
According to WNBC, emergency officials were checking the structure and its stability as of Tuesday afternoon. Visitors were removed from the area with officials from the New York City Office of Emergency Management reported to be on the scene.
The fire department also tweeted an update saying that the Astro Tower was "unstable."
BKLYN ALL HANDS W 10 ST, (ASTRO TOWER) TOWER UNSTABLE,
— FDNY (@FDNY) July 2, 2013
The Astro Tower stands at 270 feet above Coney Island and provides riders with a 360-degree view of the scenery and attractions surrounding the amusement park.
A video posted on YouTube from 2012 shows the structure swaying in the wind, raising similar structural concerns as what were seen Tuesday. Watch the video below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2