Luna Park At Coney Island Evacuated Due To Swaying Astro Tower, FDNY Calls Structure 'Unstable'
July 3, 2013 9:11 AM EST
Part of Coney Island in Brooklyn, N.Y., was evacuated Tuesday following reports that the Astro Tower ride was swaying.
According to WNBC, emergency officials were checking the structure and its stability as of Tuesday afternoon. Visitors were removed from the area with officials from the New York City Office of Emergency Management reported to be on the scene.
The fire department also tweeted an update saying that the Astro Tower was "unstable."
BKLYN ALL HANDS W 10 ST, (ASTRO TOWER) TOWER UNSTABLE,
— FDNY (@FDNY) July 2, 2013
The Astro Tower stands at 270 feet above Coney Island and provides riders with a 360-degree view of the scenery and attractions surrounding the amusement park.
A video posted on YouTube from 2012 shows the structure swaying in the wind, raising similar structural concerns as what were seen Tuesday. Watch the video below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million