Liam Hemsworth To Play Edward Snowden? Director Phillip Noyce Wants To Cast Actor In Movie On NSA Whistle-Blower
July 3, 2013 8:17 AM EST
Director Phillip Noyce may be bringing the story of Edward Snowden to the big screen, the National Security Agency contractor and CIA employee who leaked sensitive information about the U.S. data-gathering PRISM program.
The "Salt" and "Patriot Games" director said Snowden's tale intrigues him since it is "a movie that's playing out before our eyes, even though we can't see anything" reports Digital Spy.
Snowden is currently in Moscow, Russia seeking asylum. According to CNN.com, he has requested asylum from 21 countries with three so far denying his requests -- Brazil, India and Poland. Another 11 countries have told the whistle-blower that he must show up at one of their embassies or one their borders for them to be able to consider his request.
"We can't see the hero or the villain - the central character," Noyce said to NBC News. "Like my last big movie, Salt, it's a story where you're not quite certain if you're dealing with a heroine or a villain. And we may not be certain until the end of the movie or even beyond that.
"That's a beautiful duality to deal with when you're making a story or watching a movie. You can speculate he's motivated by complete unselfish motives through belief in protecting worldwide public interests. Or you can speculate he was himself a victim of knowing that notoriety might bring him immortality."
Noyce also shared that he would be interested in casting Liam Hemsworth of "The Hunger Games" as Snowden in the film.
"He's perfectly positioned as a rising star," the Australian filmmaker said. "I think he'll probably be one of the great ones. His older brother, Chris, could also play him but Liam looks more like an everyman. I think he'd be perfect."
Noyce has already formed some for the film's storyline, saying that it would begin with The Guardian revealing that Snowden was the leaker and would also feature an appearance from WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
"We'd have this wonderful Harold Lloyd comedy sequence which is the best part of the movie - the chase," he said. "In this case, it's a chase that's both funny and serious. It involves some of the highest officials in the world, and their different points of view while Mr. Snowden is holed up presumably at the Moscow Airport."
"That's a great sequence as world leaders argue over this 29-year-old and the merits or otherwise of his actions." Snowden actually turned 30 on June 21.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans