Run 4 Guns: Utah Gun Advocates Organize Open Carry 5K Run In Spanish Fork
July 2, 2013 4:45 AM EST
A group of Utah-based gun advocates are organizing the United States’ first ever “open carry” marathon in September. The event, titled “Run 4 Guns,” will feature a 5K run and a 0.5 mile “Armed Dash” in which participants are encouraged to run with their firearms to raise awareness about Second Amendment rights.
The event, which will take place on Sep. 21 in Spanish Fork, Utah, will benefit the victims of gun violence. In an interview with the Associated Press, the marathon’s organizer Macgregor Whiting, said that he wants the event to showcase that gun owners are ordinary, responsible citizens. He also said that he wanted to show the world that anti-gun activists aren’t the only ones being proactive about gun violence.
“Our purpose is to create more awareness and to make a difference,” he said. “We want gun owners and the right to bear arms to be seen in a true light and to be respected. And we also want to show our concern, and show that we, as citizens, we value giving back and making a difference in our community.”
Whiting said that he takes issue with gun-owners being commonly portrayed as “extreme and insensitive.” “We thought it would be a positive reflection on people who support Second Amendment rights, and that it could make a difference for those affected by tragedy,” the 26-year-old Utah county resident added.
According to the Salt Lake City Weekly, the race has already been approved by the city and begun to accept runners. Whiting said that in keeping with the race’s strict safety rules, runners will be required to either holster their firearm, or remove ammunition from the chamber or detach the magazine. The website’s Official Race Policy also stipulates that all unholstered weapons would be checked in and zip tied.
Not surprisingly, the event has sparked debates over the adequacy of its safety precautions. "Raising money for victims of violence of any kind is a worthy cause and should be supported," Gary Sackett of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah told the AP. "As to the necessity or even the symbolism of strapping on your guns to do so, seems to us to be at best, sophomoric and juvenile."
"If you want to say, we believe we have a right to carry firearms but we want to raise funds for victims of firearms, then that's fine," Sackett said. "But to strut around with your firearms seems to be to be nothing more than a kind of in your face gesture."
Whiting contradicted that claim, saying that those who were worried about safety just didn’t know enough about guns. "Most of the concern is just people's preconceived ideas about it," Whiting said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date