Lake Powell Boating Accident: 5-Year-Old Boy Killed Instantly After Struck By Propeller
July 2, 2013 2:58 AM EST
A 5-year-old boy was killed in a boating accident on Utah’s Lake Powell on Sunday.
The National Park Service said the child was riding in the bow of the boat when the vessel hit a wave and knocked the boy into the lake. He hit his head on the boat’s propeller and was killed instantly, the Salt Lake Tribune reports.
“Everyone onboard was wearing a life jacket and no alcohol was involved,” the National Park Service said in a statement. The accident took place at around 6:30 p.m. near a rock formation that borders the lake called Tapestry Wall.
The boating accident follows a fatal crash that took place on June 20. A motorboat crashed into a houseboat carrying 13 passengers. One woman died instantly, and a search and rescue team was deployed for her daughter and another woman who drowned in the crash.
The body of Valerie Bradshaw, 29, was found on June 23 using a remote-controlled robot. The body of 22-year-old Jessica Jackman was recovered two days later in 400 feet of water, the Associated Press reports. Jackman had Stickler syndrome, a genetic characterized by distinctive facial appearance, eye abnormalities, hearing loss, and joint problems.
Jackman’s father, Adrian, was the driver of the boat when it crashed. Officials believe he may have been distracted by children onboard the boat when he struck the anchored houseboat, the Salt Lake Tribune reports.
In July 2011, Lake Powell was the scene of another fatal accident involving a young boy. A boat carrying Matt Parker, a Boy Scout, three other Boy Scouts and two scout leaders struck a rock. Parker was thrown out of the boat and killed, Deseret News reports.
Lake Powell is the second-largest man-made lake in the U.S. The lake, which sits on the border between Utah and Arizona, was created in 1963 by the construction of the Glen Canyon Dam and is 186-miles long, but it was only in 1980 when the lake reached "full pool" status at 3,700 feet above sea level.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists