Saudi Arabia Umrah Pilgrimage 2013: July 8 Set As Deadline for Visas, 15-Day Limit to Contain Deadly Virus
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | July 1, 2013 1:16 PM EST
Saudi Arabia, determined to control the possible spread of the fatal Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) to the other global nations, has imposed a 15-day limit observance of the Umrah pilgrimage.
Pilgrims to the Umrah, otherwise known as the lesser Hajj, are forecast to peak during the holy month of Ramadan which is between July 9 and August 7 for 2013. However, each pilgrim will only be afforded a 15-day period to observe the holy day. The greater Hajj will take place from October 13 to 18.
Moreover, the Saudi foreign affairs ministry has announced it will stop issuing Umrah visas on July 8, in support of the control measures toward the potential global health menace.
Relative to this year's Umrah, the KSA has already issued around four million visas.
"According to our figures, 3.9 million people have left and there are now around 250,000 in the country. That's the number we would like to keep, so we need to ensure that people leave within a specific frame of time to allow others to arrive," the ministry said.
Since MERS-CoV virus can spread through close contact, experts fear the peak periods of Umrah and Hajj will be the virus' perfect breeding ground. The possibility of infected pilgrims returning home after the Umrah and Hajj and spreading the infection in other nations have prompted the Saudi Arabia government to urge the people to defer plans to 2014.
In 2012, about 6 million pilgrims visited oil-rich nation Saudi Arabia as part of the annual Umrah-Hajj pilgrimage.
Although the World Health Organisation has yet to call for a travel restriction ban to Saudi Arabia, it has called on nations to monitor respiratory infections, especially among patients returning from the Middle East.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft