The Beki Chronicles: Transgendered Filipino Actor BB Gandanghari Gives Thumb Up to My Husband’s Lover
By Vittorio Hernandez | July 1, 2013 8:57 AM EST
Even if the Filipino bishops are questioning the airing of the very popular first gay-themed soap opera in Philippine television, My Husband's Lover, several local celebrities backed the bekiserye.
Leading those who were following the show is transgender actor BB Gandanghari, who used to be action star Rustom Padilla.
"It is really difficult to live a life inside the closet, isn't it," he said in Filipino, quoted by Pep.ph.
Gandanghari was referring to the character Vincent, played by Tom Rodriguez, who is married to Lally, portrayed by Carla Abella, while carrying a love affair with high school best friend, Eric, essayed by Dennis Trillo.
However, he said he could not 100 per cent related to the character because while he was once wed to actress Carmina Villaroel, the transgender insisted he had no affair with another man while married for several years.
Long suspected of being gay even while doing action movie and coming from a family of action stars, then Rustom Padilla publicly admitted being a homosexual in the Big Brother celebrity edition in the Philippines.
Rustom and Carmina were married in 1994 and separated in 1997, although their marriage was nullified in 2002. He disclosed that he started to acknowledge his gayness only in 1997 after the separation.
Gandanghari's brother, Robin Padilla, grudgingly acknowledged the contribution of gays in Philippine showbusiness, but added TV shows that have gay themes should not have kissing scenes between two men or two women, but it is okay in movies.
"We cannot do anything about it because gays are part of our reality now," he added.
However, he declined to comment on question about same-sex marriage since his view may further alienate him from Gandanghari, whom he is not on talking terms.
Another actor, Gardo Verzosa, said despite the sensitive theme of the show, he said viewers deserve to know the reality of gay relationships.
"The station would not air the show if they didn't think viewers would learn some lessons from it," he reasoned.
Gardo himself is not new to playing gay roles and starring in gay-themed movies such as the critically acclaimed Ang Lalaki sa Buhay ni Selya (The Men in Selya's Life).
The popularity of My Husband's Lover is gauged not only by the Philippine bishops' comment but also the weekend mall tour of the show's stars which was jampacked.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 'Sylvester Stallone Dies In Horrible Car Accident’ Death Hoax Goes Viral
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoiler: Revelation Of Reason Why Penny, Leonard ‘Not’ Getting Married Soon
- Emmy Awards 2014: Where To Watch Live Online, Top Nominations [VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelorette' Update: Andi Dorfman And Josh Murray To Setup Career In Hollywood- Reports
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett to Rediscover Nathan Fillion's Rick Castle; 'Derrick Storm' Coming to ABC [VIDEO]
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU