Australian Dollar Exchange Rate: National Australia Bank, Goldman, Westpac Cut Previous Predictions on AUD
By Reissa Su | June 29, 2013 10:23 PM EST
The National Australia Bank has reduced its forecasts until the end of 2014. The NAB has tipped the Australian dollar to fall US88 cents from US93 cents on previous December forecasts. The reduced forecast followed the previous ones made by Goldman Sachs and Westpac earlier this week.
Spokesperson for National Australia Bank's foreign currency exchange strategy team said the US Fed's return to the early stages of normalising policy only justifies the need for NAB to lower the AUD/USD exchange rate to US80 cents range.
The foreign currency exchange team also said they project a modest decline in terms of trade in Australia throughout 2014 due to weak growth of commodities in China than they have previously expected.
NAB is hopeful China will grow by 7.5 per cent in 2014. However, a lower prediction for the Australian dollar will be expected once they have the second quarter GDP data due out next month.
Goldman Sach's economists earlier this week were also forced to revise their previous forecasts after the Australian dollar failed to live up to their forecasts. Goldman predicts the dollar will drop to US86 cents next year. Economists also expect a US85 cents exchange in 2015 from previous dollar forecasts of US89 cents.
The Australian dollar fell 13 per cent since the middle of April. Investors have shifted their assets back to the US as the country's economy begins to rise from its slumber. This led the US Federal Reserve to start raising interest rates in the future.
Westpac predicts the Australian dollar will be somewhere between the low and mid US90 cents in 2014 which is also lower than its previous forecast of US96 cents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance