Australian Dollar Exchange Rate: National Australia Bank, Goldman, Westpac Cut Previous Predictions on AUD
By Reissa Su | June 29, 2013 10:23 PM EST
The National Australia Bank has reduced its forecasts until the end of 2014. The NAB has tipped the Australian dollar to fall US88 cents from US93 cents on previous December forecasts. The reduced forecast followed the previous ones made by Goldman Sachs and Westpac earlier this week.
Spokesperson for National Australia Bank's foreign currency exchange strategy team said the US Fed's return to the early stages of normalising policy only justifies the need for NAB to lower the AUD/USD exchange rate to US80 cents range.
The foreign currency exchange team also said they project a modest decline in terms of trade in Australia throughout 2014 due to weak growth of commodities in China than they have previously expected.
NAB is hopeful China will grow by 7.5 per cent in 2014. However, a lower prediction for the Australian dollar will be expected once they have the second quarter GDP data due out next month.
Goldman Sach's economists earlier this week were also forced to revise their previous forecasts after the Australian dollar failed to live up to their forecasts. Goldman predicts the dollar will drop to US86 cents next year. Economists also expect a US85 cents exchange in 2015 from previous dollar forecasts of US89 cents.
The Australian dollar fell 13 per cent since the middle of April. Investors have shifted their assets back to the US as the country's economy begins to rise from its slumber. This led the US Federal Reserve to start raising interest rates in the future.
Westpac predicts the Australian dollar will be somewhere between the low and mid US90 cents in 2014 which is also lower than its previous forecast of US96 cents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert