Justin Bieber Faces Lawsuit for 'Kicking' and 'Punching' Paparazzo
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 28, 2013 7:51 PM EST
Pop sensation Justin Bieber has been sued by a celebrity photographer, who claims he was kicked and punched by the 19-year-old during a fight at a shopping mall in California. The lawsuit was filed on 26 June with the Los Angeles County Superior Court and the papers date the attack as happening in May last year.
The photographer, identified as Jose Osmin Hernandez Duran, has claimed he was well within his legal rights in taking the photographers; Bieber and fellow singer Selena Gomez (his former girlfriend) were returning from the cinema at the time.
According to a report by E!Online, Bieber initially had trouble driving his car out of the parking lot and responded by yelling and then attacking the photographers. Duran claims he was kicked in the stomach and punched in the face. Duran said he responded using "submissive behaviour" and told his attacker "... you don't have to do this".
The court papers also show Gomez apologising for Bieber's behaviour. The suit seeks unspecified damages for severe emotional distress. And Bieber's representatives have yet to comment on the matter.
This is not the first time Bieber has gotten into trouble with the law. In January, he was sued by ex-bodyguard Benabou, who claimed the singer owed him $421,261 in unpaid overtime for services between March 2011 and October 2012.
Benabou also filed for assault charges. According to Fox News, he stated the singer punched him several times and insulted him in public, following a disagreement on how to handle one member of the singer's Grammy entourage.
"For nearly two years Mr. Benabou devoted himself completely to ensuring Mr. Bieber's personal safety," wrote Ilan Heimanson, Benabou's attorney, in a statement, adding, "Mr. Benabou deserved, as does any employee, to be treated with respect, dignity and in accordance with the law. Unfortunately, he was not."
Bieber is on his Believe world tour, and is scheduled to perform at the Pepsi Center in Denver on 30 June. He has further dates in Dallas, Chicago and New York, among other venues. He will also travel to the Far East, to Korea and Thailand, as well as Central and South America, in September and October.
For tickets and more details, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation