Justin Bieber Faces Lawsuit for 'Kicking' and 'Punching' Paparazzo
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | June 28, 2013 7:51 PM EST
Pop sensation Justin Bieber has been sued by a celebrity photographer, who claims he was kicked and punched by the 19-year-old during a fight at a shopping mall in California. The lawsuit was filed on 26 June with the Los Angeles County Superior Court and the papers date the attack as happening in May last year.
The photographer, identified as Jose Osmin Hernandez Duran, has claimed he was well within his legal rights in taking the photographers; Bieber and fellow singer Selena Gomez (his former girlfriend) were returning from the cinema at the time.
According to a report by E!Online, Bieber initially had trouble driving his car out of the parking lot and responded by yelling and then attacking the photographers. Duran claims he was kicked in the stomach and punched in the face. Duran said he responded using "submissive behaviour" and told his attacker "... you don't have to do this".
The court papers also show Gomez apologising for Bieber's behaviour. The suit seeks unspecified damages for severe emotional distress. And Bieber's representatives have yet to comment on the matter.
This is not the first time Bieber has gotten into trouble with the law. In January, he was sued by ex-bodyguard Benabou, who claimed the singer owed him $421,261 in unpaid overtime for services between March 2011 and October 2012.
Benabou also filed for assault charges. According to Fox News, he stated the singer punched him several times and insulted him in public, following a disagreement on how to handle one member of the singer's Grammy entourage.
"For nearly two years Mr. Benabou devoted himself completely to ensuring Mr. Bieber's personal safety," wrote Ilan Heimanson, Benabou's attorney, in a statement, adding, "Mr. Benabou deserved, as does any employee, to be treated with respect, dignity and in accordance with the law. Unfortunately, he was not."
Bieber is on his Believe world tour, and is scheduled to perform at the Pepsi Center in Denver on 30 June. He has further dates in Dallas, Chicago and New York, among other venues. He will also travel to the Far East, to Korea and Thailand, as well as Central and South America, in September and October.
For tickets and more details, click here.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date