5 Highest Grossing (Inflation Adjusted) Films Of All Time (Avatar Is Not One of Them)
By Christopher Acevedo | June 26, 2013 4:31 PM EST
With the help of technology, moviegoers are now experiencing movies that are coming in 3D and jaw-dropping special effects. With the likes of Avatar and the Marvel's Avengers, it is easy to get to that billion dollar mark in theatrical sales. But how do these movies compare to the all-time greats? With all of the debate on how to know the best among the all time greats, we should adjust the effects of the inflation. With this, we can assume that all of the movie tickets were sold in the same price. Here is the list of the most sought out films in theatrical history.
1. Gone with the Wind, 1939.
The epic historical romance film of Scarlett and Rhett still remains atop of the highest-grossing films ever, with an estimated gross of $3,301,400,000, inflation adjusted. It has estimated a total of over 202 million tickets sold. The film was shown in theatres from December 1939 to July 1940. The film had a later re-releases in 1942, 1947, 1954, 1961, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1989 and 1998. The movie received ten Academy Awards in 1940.
2. Star Wars, 1977
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope was the first movie of this six episode space opera on the big screen. It was a major hit in the late 1970s, with all of the groundbreaking special effects and science fiction/fantasy storytelling. With an estimated ticket sale of 178.12 million, the first of the Star Wars instalment triumphed with an adjusted gross of $2,710,800,000. This has been one of the most successful and influential movie of all time. The film was released on May 25, 1977 and was re-released theatrically in 1978, 1979, 1981, and 1982. This was followed by two sequels: The Empire Strikes Back, released on May 21, 1980, and Return of the Jedi, released on May 25, 1983. Then the prequel trilogy was released with Episode I: The Phantom Menace, released on May 19, 1999; Episode II: Attack of the Clones, released on May 16, 2002; and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, released on May 19, 2005.
3. The Ten Commandments, 1956.
This epic film about the life of Moses, which was chronicled in the Old Testament's Exodus, starred movie greats Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner. It has an estimate adjusted gross of $2,098,600,000 and estimated ticket sales of 131 million. Indeed, no Holy Week is complete without watching this immortal classic.
4. The Sound of Music, 1965.
This musical by Robert Wise is still loved by both young and old. It has estimated ticket sales of 142.4 million and an adjusted gross of $2,269,800,000. The songs are still famous and can be heard sung by preschool children such as Edelweiss", "My Favorite Things", "Climb Ev'ry Mountain", "Do-Re-Mi", "Sixteen Going on Seventeen", "The Lonely Goatherd", and the title song, "The Sound of Music". It won five Academy Awards including, best picture and briefly displaced Gone with the Wind as the highest grossing film of all time.
5. Jaws, 1975
Steven Spielberg's thriller killer shark has been the most successful motion picture of all time until Star Wars. This movie bags an adjusted gross of $1,945,100,000 and ticket sales of about 128 million. Considered as the granddaddy of all killer sharks, it had three more sequels and number of adaptations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy