5 Highest Grossing (Inflation Adjusted) Films Of All Time (Avatar Is Not One of Them)
By Christopher Acevedo | June 26, 2013 4:31 PM EST
With the help of technology, moviegoers are now experiencing movies that are coming in 3D and jaw-dropping special effects. With the likes of Avatar and the Marvel's Avengers, it is easy to get to that billion dollar mark in theatrical sales. But how do these movies compare to the all-time greats? With all of the debate on how to know the best among the all time greats, we should adjust the effects of the inflation. With this, we can assume that all of the movie tickets were sold in the same price. Here is the list of the most sought out films in theatrical history.
1. Gone with the Wind, 1939.
The epic historical romance film of Scarlett and Rhett still remains atop of the highest-grossing films ever, with an estimated gross of $3,301,400,000, inflation adjusted. It has estimated a total of over 202 million tickets sold. The film was shown in theatres from December 1939 to July 1940. The film had a later re-releases in 1942, 1947, 1954, 1961, 1967, 1971, 1974, 1989 and 1998. The movie received ten Academy Awards in 1940.
2. Star Wars, 1977
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope was the first movie of this six episode space opera on the big screen. It was a major hit in the late 1970s, with all of the groundbreaking special effects and science fiction/fantasy storytelling. With an estimated ticket sale of 178.12 million, the first of the Star Wars instalment triumphed with an adjusted gross of $2,710,800,000. This has been one of the most successful and influential movie of all time. The film was released on May 25, 1977 and was re-released theatrically in 1978, 1979, 1981, and 1982. This was followed by two sequels: The Empire Strikes Back, released on May 21, 1980, and Return of the Jedi, released on May 25, 1983. Then the prequel trilogy was released with Episode I: The Phantom Menace, released on May 19, 1999; Episode II: Attack of the Clones, released on May 16, 2002; and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, released on May 19, 2005.
3. The Ten Commandments, 1956.
This epic film about the life of Moses, which was chronicled in the Old Testament's Exodus, starred movie greats Charlton Heston and Yul Brynner. It has an estimate adjusted gross of $2,098,600,000 and estimated ticket sales of 131 million. Indeed, no Holy Week is complete without watching this immortal classic.
4. The Sound of Music, 1965.
This musical by Robert Wise is still loved by both young and old. It has estimated ticket sales of 142.4 million and an adjusted gross of $2,269,800,000. The songs are still famous and can be heard sung by preschool children such as Edelweiss", "My Favorite Things", "Climb Ev'ry Mountain", "Do-Re-Mi", "Sixteen Going on Seventeen", "The Lonely Goatherd", and the title song, "The Sound of Music". It won five Academy Awards including, best picture and briefly displaced Gone with the Wind as the highest grossing film of all time.
5. Jaws, 1975
Steven Spielberg's thriller killer shark has been the most successful motion picture of all time until Star Wars. This movie bags an adjusted gross of $1,945,100,000 and ticket sales of about 128 million. Considered as the granddaddy of all killer sharks, it had three more sequels and number of adaptations.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers for Sept. 1-5, 2014: Sabrina Seeks Revenge
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- 5 Seconds of Summer Calum Hood's D--K Vine Video Goes Viral
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Jessica Lange Says New Season ‘Most Extraordinary’
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares