No show of Hands for Julia Gillard vs Kevin Rudd over Australian Labor Party Leadership
By Athena Yenko | June 26, 2013 11:53 AM EST
For weeks now, as Prime Minister Julia Gillard received blow per blow account that wounded her position in the latest election survey polls, rumour had been going that the Australian Labor Party will shift its leadership to Kevin Rudd.
To put a stop to this seemingly undying rumour, Ms Gillard challenged MPs to show their hands in an open vote to decide on the Gillard vs Rudd leadership over the party. This challenge came with a statement that she will deny the party her secret ballot.
The showing of hands was set to happen on Wednesday morning, but The Daily Telegraph reported that no such thing happened within the party.
According to the report, "... it was off the table this morning when a member of that guard, Trade Minister Craig Emerson, ruled it out and protested it was hypothetical because Mr Rudd's last pronouncement was he wasn't challenging under any circumstances."
The pandemonium within the party was provoked by statements from senior member from the PM's office, hinting that Ms. Gillard will not leave her seat as the party's leader but was compelling the MPs to show their hands in an open vote that will obviously reveal their as to whom their loyally belong to.
The show of hands, if it happened, will put all MPs in possible reprisal from the unions that the MPs were affiliated.
The act of denying the secret ballot, on the other hand, will break the tradition of the Labor party. The tradition of the secret ballot, where a leader leave his or her seat vacant when his or her leadership is challenged, had long been practiced in Asutralia since the 1850s.
More importantly, if the showings of hands did happen with Ms Gillard denying her secret ballot, she might be suffering the greatest drawback of her political career as of this very moment. What would have make the matters worse was that the message did not come directly from the prime minister but by her seemingly "all-knowing" staff.
For Simon Benson of The Daily Telegraph, the act will be a "misguided and potential fatal move. No party knows how to prey upon the most powerful human emotions of fear and vengeance as does Labor. That the prime minister is contemplating this move shows only that she knows she no longer has the numbers. And we can only assume she is contemplating it - by what we are told by her advisors."
Confusion and anxiety surrounded the MPs on Tuesday night as the showing of hands loom over them.
One supporter for Mr Rudd said, "There are a lot of people unhappy about this. The caucus will not be dictated to by a staffer on how we can vote."
There was great apprehension over Mr Rudd's declaration of hands. One supporter said that "He is a dead man walking if he does not do this. This can't go on any longer."
One party leader expressed great nervousness, "If he hasn't had enough time to do it today he will be in more trouble than the early settlers."
Mr Rudd seemed to add fuel to the fire as he announced leaving for China on Wednesday night. One loyal supporter of Mr Rudd said the trip is "Kevin saying you have two days. I am available but after that all bets are off."
However, a senior Gillard supporter had keen intuition of what was going to happen come this morning. "We've seen this all before - The blokes doing Rudd's numbers couldn't add tree oranges and pear together."
As no show of hands happen this morning, will this put an end to the Gillard vs. Rudd rumored battle against the Australian Labor Party leadership?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen