Former Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Bill Cowher In NYC Car Crash
June 26, 2013 10:09 AM EST
Bill Cowher is used to being on the sidelines, but a car accident on Manhattan’s Upper East Side has made the former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach the center of attention.
According to the New York Daily News, Cowher, 56, was driving north on Park Avenue when his black Mercedes-Benz was cut off by a woman driving a Ford Fusion who attempted to turn onto East 92nd Street.
Cowher hit the passenger side of the Fusion, which then crashed into scaffolding nearby. The car hit a pole, causing construction material to collapse in the area.
Nobody was injured in the accident.
“With how banged-up that car is, it’s amazing no one was really hurt,” a witness told the New York Post.
Reports also indicate that both Cowher and the woman driving the Ford Fusion claim to have had the green light at the time.
Cowher coached the Pittsburgh Steelers for 15 seasons, leading them to a Super Bowl championship in the 2005 season. In January 2007, Cowher stepped down as head coach of the Steelers and accepted a position as an analyst on “The NFL Today” show on CBS, alongside greats Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe and Boomer Esiason.
While Cowher hasn’t coached an NFL team since 2006, he was confident that he could get back into the swing of things fairly easily due to his current job.
"I did it for 27 years. You don't just forget things overnight," Cowher told USA Today. "One thing about this job is it's been really good, because it allows me to study the game and do features on the game. I want to know what I'm talking about, so I'm watching tape. It's not like I'm out of it. I know how the game is changing."
However, Cowher later admitted that he may have jumped the gun talking about a return to coaching, telling USA Today, "Honestly, it was more in the moment, and the challenge of whether or not I could. And I regret making that last statement in regards to would I ultimately come back."
Nevertheless, Cowher remains a perennial threat should he decide to make a return to coaching.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert