Former Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Bill Cowher In NYC Car Crash
June 26, 2013 10:09 AM EST
Bill Cowher is used to being on the sidelines, but a car accident on Manhattan’s Upper East Side has made the former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach the center of attention.
According to the New York Daily News, Cowher, 56, was driving north on Park Avenue when his black Mercedes-Benz was cut off by a woman driving a Ford Fusion who attempted to turn onto East 92nd Street.
Cowher hit the passenger side of the Fusion, which then crashed into scaffolding nearby. The car hit a pole, causing construction material to collapse in the area.
Nobody was injured in the accident.
“With how banged-up that car is, it’s amazing no one was really hurt,” a witness told the New York Post.
Reports also indicate that both Cowher and the woman driving the Ford Fusion claim to have had the green light at the time.
Cowher coached the Pittsburgh Steelers for 15 seasons, leading them to a Super Bowl championship in the 2005 season. In January 2007, Cowher stepped down as head coach of the Steelers and accepted a position as an analyst on “The NFL Today” show on CBS, alongside greats Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe and Boomer Esiason.
While Cowher hasn’t coached an NFL team since 2006, he was confident that he could get back into the swing of things fairly easily due to his current job.
"I did it for 27 years. You don't just forget things overnight," Cowher told USA Today. "One thing about this job is it's been really good, because it allows me to study the game and do features on the game. I want to know what I'm talking about, so I'm watching tape. It's not like I'm out of it. I know how the game is changing."
However, Cowher later admitted that he may have jumped the gun talking about a return to coaching, telling USA Today, "Honestly, it was more in the moment, and the challenge of whether or not I could. And I regret making that last statement in regards to would I ultimately come back."
Nevertheless, Cowher remains a perennial threat should he decide to make a return to coaching.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]