Former Pittsburgh Steelers Coach Bill Cowher In NYC Car Crash
June 26, 2013 10:09 AM EST
Bill Cowher is used to being on the sidelines, but a car accident on Manhattan’s Upper East Side has made the former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach the center of attention.
According to the New York Daily News, Cowher, 56, was driving north on Park Avenue when his black Mercedes-Benz was cut off by a woman driving a Ford Fusion who attempted to turn onto East 92nd Street.
Cowher hit the passenger side of the Fusion, which then crashed into scaffolding nearby. The car hit a pole, causing construction material to collapse in the area.
Nobody was injured in the accident.
“With how banged-up that car is, it’s amazing no one was really hurt,” a witness told the New York Post.
Reports also indicate that both Cowher and the woman driving the Ford Fusion claim to have had the green light at the time.
Cowher coached the Pittsburgh Steelers for 15 seasons, leading them to a Super Bowl championship in the 2005 season. In January 2007, Cowher stepped down as head coach of the Steelers and accepted a position as an analyst on “The NFL Today” show on CBS, alongside greats Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe and Boomer Esiason.
While Cowher hasn’t coached an NFL team since 2006, he was confident that he could get back into the swing of things fairly easily due to his current job.
"I did it for 27 years. You don't just forget things overnight," Cowher told USA Today. "One thing about this job is it's been really good, because it allows me to study the game and do features on the game. I want to know what I'm talking about, so I'm watching tape. It's not like I'm out of it. I know how the game is changing."
However, Cowher later admitted that he may have jumped the gun talking about a return to coaching, telling USA Today, "Honestly, it was more in the moment, and the challenge of whether or not I could. And I regret making that last statement in regards to would I ultimately come back."
Nevertheless, Cowher remains a perennial threat should he decide to make a return to coaching.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans