Wall Street rises on robust U.S. data after recent slide
By Alison Griswold | June 26, 2013 6:56 AM EST
U.S. stocks rose by the most in nearly two weeks on Tuesday after data showed business investment and the housing recovery continued apace, reassuring investors worried about the Federal Reserve's plans to reduce its massive monetary stimulus.
Analysts said the gains were fueled by a mix of buyers: hedge funds and both small and wealthy retail clients attracted by the market's recent drop. Position trimming by institutions due to recent volatility pulled the market back from its highs in the final minutes of trading.
The gains, led largely by financial stocks, came even as the latest drop in bond prices indicated higher interest rates. A lightly bid two-year government debt auction disappointed bond traders who were looking for bargain-minded investors to buy Treasuries hard hit in the recent market selloff.
"I think investors have kind of come to the conclusion that 'OK, we've made a kneejerk reaction to what the Fed has said and now we've taken some deep breaths and we can reassess,'" said Mike Binger, senior portfolio manager at Gradient Investments LLC in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
"This little correction has given people a chance to get back into the market who haven't been in and haven't participated at all this year."
The S&P 500's gain of just under 1 percent was the biggest since June 13 and was the market's most broad-based advance since Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke sparked a global rout in financial markets by laying out a roadmap for the end of $85 billion a month in bond purchases.
The declines have been broad and have come on heavy volume, indicating selling by investors with large positions. Even with Tuesday's gain, the index remains down 4.9 percent from its all-time closing high of 1,669.16 reached on May 21.
Data on durable goods orders, sales of new homes and consumer confidence all topped analysts' expectations. The April Case/Shiller report on home prices also exceeded forecasts. Should this run of strong economic figures continue, it will mollify those worried about lack of Fed support.
Housing stocks were among the strongest of the day after the data and also after Lennar Corp
Volume was again above average, with 6.73 billion shares traded on U.S. exchanges, but dropped closer to healthy levels after several busy days of selling.
All 10 industry sectors on the S&P 500 ended up, led by gains in growth-sensitive financials and energy shares. More than three-fourths of stocks traded on the New York Stock Exchange advanced.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> rose 100.75 points or 0.69 percent, to 14,760.31, the S&P 500 <.SPX> gained 14.94 points or 0.95 percent, to 1,588.03 and the Nasdaq Composite <.IXIC> added 27.13 points or 0.82 percent, to 3,347.89.
While the S&P is up 11.2 percent in 2013, the recent trend has been negative, with the benchmark index dropping below both its 14-day and 50-day moving averages, seen as signs of near-term market direction. The S&P is down about 2.7 percent in June.
The index on Monday closed at its lowest level since April 22 after China's central bank said the country's banks need to do a better job of managing their cash. On Tuesday, the People's Bank of China said it would not press banks too hard in its efforts to curb easy credit and prevent a possible banking crisis.
On the downside, Walgreen Co
(Reporting By Alison Griswold; Editing by Kenneth Barry)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales