Why Did Narendra Modi Rescue Only Gujaratis from Uttarakhand Floods? Shiv Sena Takes Dig at BJP Leader
By Raymond Ronamai | June 25, 2013 8:48 PM EST
At a time when the whole nation is reeling in shock following the devastation caused by the killer floods in Uttarakhand in the last few days, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi reportedly rescued only Gujaratis from the affected areas, inviting criticism from various quarters.
It was reported that team Narendra Modi rescued 15,000 Gujaratis from flood-ravaged Uttarakhand during his two-day stay in the state.
Apart from Congress, the Shiv Sena, ally of the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA), have also come out in the open to critiscise Modi's parochial attitude in rescuing the flood victims.
The Shiv Sena in its mouthpiece, Saamna, took a dig at Modi, who is BJP's prospective prime ministerial candidate after being made the party's campaign chief for the forthcoming general elections. The party in its editorial accused him of politicizing the rescue operations in the state by rescuing only Gujaratis.
"He is seen as a potential prime ministerial candidate so he should not just be bothered about the wellbeing of Gujarat and Gujaratis," said the Saamna editorial, adding, "It would be better if Modi's propagandists exercise restraint in future."
Meanwhile, a Gujarat government official reportedly told Rediff news that the state government had done everything it could in helping the Uttarakhand government in the rescue operations. The official said that all the people rescued by the Gujarat government were not Gujaratis.
Yes, Narendra Modi's rescue team might have rescued some non-Gujaratis too but their main focus was apparently its people from the state.
"Modi was camping at the Gujarat Bhavan in New Delhi, on the night of June 17. The next day, he was to attend the annual plan meeting. We had an emergency meeting at night to take stock of the situation. Gujaratis have deep faith in the 'Char Dham yatra' so we knew that there will be easily more than 20,000 Gujaratis in Uttarakhand. Only common sense was needed to understand the issue," a government official told Rediff.
The Gujarat government, like other state governments, did a commendable job in rescuing thousands of people stranded in the flood-hit region. In a way, they have helped the overall rescue operations even if they picked only Gujaratis, as the agencies that were trying to take the victims to a safer location will have fewer people to deal with.
However, rescuing only certain people from the state, at a time when all victims face the same grim situation, will be a painful scene. Those who were left out during the operation just because they didn't belong to a certain state, will start questioning their "Indianess" even after being saved.
The Indian Army and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police, which carried out most of the rescue works, helped the victims through the rocky hills and flooding rivers without looking at their race, creed or colour. For them, they were there to save human beings, and it should be that way.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen