Mass UFO Sighting in Brazil Was Drone Controlled by TV Channel
By Drishya Nair | June 25, 2013 8:39 PM EST
An Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) spotted by thousands of protesters in Sao Paulo on the evening of 17 June has been identified as a drone controlled by a TV station.
A video of the glowing light hovering over the skies was recorded and posted on YouTube by one of the protestors. The video soon started circulating on the internet and led many to believe it was a sign of alien life.
However, the UFO's mystery was solved following another video uploaded on YouTube displaying the footage recorded from the flying object.
The drone, with a camera attached, was apparently controlled by local news station Folha TV.
According to a report in The Huffington Post, experts believe that in future with cheaper drone technology, there certainly will be a surge in the number of UFO sightings - which could spread panic among the general public.
"The whole business of UFOs is sold under the faulty logic of ignorance. We don't know what it was, therefore we know what it was," Joe Nickell, an investigator with Skeptical Inquirer, told the publication. "If you put anything up in the sky it will end up a UFO to many people.
"We don't call in planes or weather balloons as UFOs anymore, but drones are small, peculiar aircraft. They're unfamiliar."
Marc D'Antonio who has constructed a flying saucer in collabration with National Geographic to demonstrate how easily people can be duped into an alien hoax, added: [My project] showed I could walk into any hobby shop and in just 24 to 48 hours produce a craft.
"Already, five percent are probably drone-related. Drones themselves are going to be taking centre stage for a great deal of time."
In a similar incident in 2011, a mass UFO sighting was reported by a crowd of 25,000 people who were protesting in Moscow. Later it was discovered that the UFO was a drone controlled by a local TV station.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports