Mass UFO Sighting in Brazil Was Drone Controlled by TV Channel
By Drishya Nair | June 25, 2013 8:39 PM EST
An Unidentified Flying Object (UFO) spotted by thousands of protesters in Sao Paulo on the evening of 17 June has been identified as a drone controlled by a TV station.
A video of the glowing light hovering over the skies was recorded and posted on YouTube by one of the protestors. The video soon started circulating on the internet and led many to believe it was a sign of alien life.
However, the UFO's mystery was solved following another video uploaded on YouTube displaying the footage recorded from the flying object.
The drone, with a camera attached, was apparently controlled by local news station Folha TV.
According to a report in The Huffington Post, experts believe that in future with cheaper drone technology, there certainly will be a surge in the number of UFO sightings - which could spread panic among the general public.
"The whole business of UFOs is sold under the faulty logic of ignorance. We don't know what it was, therefore we know what it was," Joe Nickell, an investigator with Skeptical Inquirer, told the publication. "If you put anything up in the sky it will end up a UFO to many people.
"We don't call in planes or weather balloons as UFOs anymore, but drones are small, peculiar aircraft. They're unfamiliar."
Marc D'Antonio who has constructed a flying saucer in collabration with National Geographic to demonstrate how easily people can be duped into an alien hoax, added: [My project] showed I could walk into any hobby shop and in just 24 to 48 hours produce a craft.
"Already, five percent are probably drone-related. Drones themselves are going to be taking centre stage for a great deal of time."
In a similar incident in 2011, a mass UFO sighting was reported by a crowd of 25,000 people who were protesting in Moscow. Later it was discovered that the UFO was a drone controlled by a local TV station.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery