Saudi Arabia Deaths Due to SARS-Like MERS-CoV Now Reach 34
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 25, 2013 2:58 PM EST
The death toll in Saudi Arabia due to the new SARS-like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has reached 34, the kingdom's ministry of health said on Monday.
The ministry likewise revealed it has a fresh set of six new cases, making the total number thus far of global infections to 70. Since being identified in 2012, there have been a total thus far of 39 global deaths, the most of which come from Saudi Arabia.
Although there is no evidence yet of uninterrupted human-to-human transmission, the MERS-CoV has been observed to be easily transmissible in healthcare environments and is more deadly than SARS, prompting the Saudi Arabia government to urge Hajj pilgrims to postpone their ritual plans to next year.
"The novel coronavirus is not a problem that any single affected country can keep to itself or manage all by itself. The novel coronavirus is a threat to the entire world," Margaret Chan, WHO director-general, said at the 66th World Health Assembly in May. "Through WHO and the IHR, we need to bring together the assets of the entire world in order to adequately address this threat. We need more information, and we need it quickly, urgently."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Heart Diseases Can Be Healed with Fat: Study Says
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales