Saudi Arabia Deaths Due to SARS-Like MERS-CoV Now Reach 34
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 25, 2013 2:58 PM EST
The death toll in Saudi Arabia due to the new SARS-like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has reached 34, the kingdom's ministry of health said on Monday.
The ministry likewise revealed it has a fresh set of six new cases, making the total number thus far of global infections to 70. Since being identified in 2012, there have been a total thus far of 39 global deaths, the most of which come from Saudi Arabia.
Although there is no evidence yet of uninterrupted human-to-human transmission, the MERS-CoV has been observed to be easily transmissible in healthcare environments and is more deadly than SARS, prompting the Saudi Arabia government to urge Hajj pilgrims to postpone their ritual plans to next year.
"The novel coronavirus is not a problem that any single affected country can keep to itself or manage all by itself. The novel coronavirus is a threat to the entire world," Margaret Chan, WHO director-general, said at the 66th World Health Assembly in May. "Through WHO and the IHR, we need to bring together the assets of the entire world in order to adequately address this threat. We need more information, and we need it quickly, urgently."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- 'Keeping Up With The Kardashians' Star Kourtney Kardashian Blamed For Khloe's Weight Gain Through Social Media Messages
- Peter Quillin Claims That Adriana Lima Will Beat Gisele In The Boxing Ring; Adriana's Weight Loss Through Boxing and A Paleo Diet
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1