Saudi Arabia Deaths Due to SARS-Like MERS-CoV Now Reach 34
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | June 25, 2013 2:58 PM EST
The death toll in Saudi Arabia due to the new SARS-like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) has reached 34, the kingdom's ministry of health said on Monday.
The ministry likewise revealed it has a fresh set of six new cases, making the total number thus far of global infections to 70. Since being identified in 2012, there have been a total thus far of 39 global deaths, the most of which come from Saudi Arabia.
Although there is no evidence yet of uninterrupted human-to-human transmission, the MERS-CoV has been observed to be easily transmissible in healthcare environments and is more deadly than SARS, prompting the Saudi Arabia government to urge Hajj pilgrims to postpone their ritual plans to next year.
"The novel coronavirus is not a problem that any single affected country can keep to itself or manage all by itself. The novel coronavirus is a threat to the entire world," Margaret Chan, WHO director-general, said at the 66th World Health Assembly in May. "Through WHO and the IHR, we need to bring together the assets of the entire world in order to adequately address this threat. We need more information, and we need it quickly, urgently."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Low-Cost IVF In Australia Shows Promise For Only $800
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate