Swiss Bank UBS AG To Close Its Commercial Banking, Wealth Management Operations In India
June 24, 2013 5:23 PM EST
Swiss bank UBS AG (NYSE:UBS) will be pulling out of the wealth management and commercial banking sectors in India, making it the second multinational bank in two months to end wealth management operations in India.
The Zurich, Switzerland-based UBS has started winding down its commercial banking and wealth management operations in India as part of its global strategy to shift focus to the company’s “core strengths” in its active markets, according to a Bloomberg report citing a person familiar with the matter.
The move will help the company to rationalize its overheads by exiting from a "capital intensive business" strategy to focus on businesses that require less capital worldwide, according to UBS's annual report.
However, a spokesman for UBS in Hong Kong, said the bank will continue its operations in its core areas, including in India, media reports said. "We'll continue with our core business of equities and investment banking," the Wall Street Journal reported.
In a similar move last month, Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS), sold the Indian arm of its wealth management business, which contributed to less than 5 percent of the bank's revenues, to UK's Standard Chartered Plc. (LON:STAN), for an undisclosed amount.
The winding down of UBS's wealth management and commercial banking arms in India will be completed in two years, and will involve cutting 50 jobs, according to media reports that cited a person familiar with the matter.
UBS was given a scheduled bank status by the Reserve Bank of India in March 2009 and it started its commercial banking operations in 2010.
And though the bank holds a full-fledged banking license from the RBI, it had limited its commercial banking services mostly to large companies and wealthy individuals providing foreign exchange, fixed income services and commercial borrowings through its Mumbai-based branch.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales