Jamaica Prohibits Sexual Acts Between Men Plus Other Places Where it is Bad to be Gay
By Ivette Salud | June 24, 2013 5:03 PM EST
If you are a male homesexual who engaged in a sexual act with your gay partner, that expression of love is considered a criminal act under the Jamaican law. But if you happen to be a lesbian who engaged in a sexual intercourse, you will not be held liable for any crime in reference to the same law.
The Offences Against the Person act, which is referenced whenever specific legislations concerning the criminality of such action is brought up, states that, "whoever shall be convicted of the abominable crime of buggery" will face prison term for a maximum of 10 years.
Jamaica is said to be the most homophobic place in the planet. But for sure, it isn't the only country that discriminates against the LGBT community. Below are some examples of places where it is bad to be gay.
In Malaysia, homosexuality falls under the law prohibiting sodomy. Offenders will face prison sentence of a maximum of 20 years. As if that is not enough, the Malaysian Penal Code similarly states that those who have been charged will also be subjected to whipping.
Singapore, Brunei and Bahrain for instance have similar laws against gays. In these countries, homosexuality is punishable by imprisonment of not more than 10 years.
While other countries like Lebanon and Algeria have less grave punishments, 1 and 2 months at the minimum, respectively, the same cannot be said for a place like Iran. There, capital punishment is enforced on people guilty of committing homosexual acts.
With the existence of such laws in different parts of the world, the LGBT community's fight for equality is far from over.
The world, for its part has a lot to learn too. The issue is highly debatable taking into account the differences in terms of religion and culture among others. But from a certain perspective, perhaps it is in respecting those differences where equality among men and women, regardless of sexual preferences, may be established.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Conspiracy Theory: MH17 Actually the Lost MH370, Ukraine Wreckage 'Not MH17'
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- Plane Crash Deaths in 2014 More Than Twice as Many in 2013; Crash Clusters 'Coincidental'
- Viral Video Dance-off: Dad Shows Dancing Skills with Daughter to the Ariana Grande Hit Song Titled Problem
- Viral Video Dancing Old Man: Grandpa Throws Away Canes to Show He Can Still Dance [WATCH VIDEO]
- Google Nexus 6 Speculations Now Include Price: Five Fresh Features to Unpack on New Android Smart Phone in October/November Release Date
- Apple's iPhone 6 vs. Xiaomi Mi 4: Specifications, Features and Prices
- Fresh Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Images Leaked: 4.8-Inch Metallic Body Could Give Competition to 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- A Florida Widow Wins $23.6 Billion Lawsuit Against Tobacco Company
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide