Jamaica Prohibits Sexual Acts Between Men Plus Other Places Where it is Bad to be Gay
By Ivette Salud | June 24, 2013 5:03 PM EST
If you are a male homesexual who engaged in a sexual act with your gay partner, that expression of love is considered a criminal act under the Jamaican law. But if you happen to be a lesbian who engaged in a sexual intercourse, you will not be held liable for any crime in reference to the same law.
The Offences Against the Person act, which is referenced whenever specific legislations concerning the criminality of such action is brought up, states that, "whoever shall be convicted of the abominable crime of buggery" will face prison term for a maximum of 10 years.
Jamaica is said to be the most homophobic place in the planet. But for sure, it isn't the only country that discriminates against the LGBT community. Below are some examples of places where it is bad to be gay.
In Malaysia, homosexuality falls under the law prohibiting sodomy. Offenders will face prison sentence of a maximum of 20 years. As if that is not enough, the Malaysian Penal Code similarly states that those who have been charged will also be subjected to whipping.
Singapore, Brunei and Bahrain for instance have similar laws against gays. In these countries, homosexuality is punishable by imprisonment of not more than 10 years.
While other countries like Lebanon and Algeria have less grave punishments, 1 and 2 months at the minimum, respectively, the same cannot be said for a place like Iran. There, capital punishment is enforced on people guilty of committing homosexual acts.
With the existence of such laws in different parts of the world, the LGBT community's fight for equality is far from over.
The world, for its part has a lot to learn too. The issue is highly debatable taking into account the differences in terms of religion and culture among others. But from a certain perspective, perhaps it is in respecting those differences where equality among men and women, regardless of sexual preferences, may be established.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed