Obama Nominates John Berry, Open Gay Envoy, as US Ambassador to Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 24, 2013 3:29 PM EST
In another show of support for gays in the U.S., American President Barack Obama has nominated eight openly gay men to be the country's ambassadors in different nations.
Among the eight are John Berry, ambassador to Australia, and James Brewster, ambassador to the Dominican Republic.
Mr Berry is the former director of the Office of Personnel Management where he was instrumental in putting in place complaint procedures for employees who were discriminated due to their sexual orientation. He started his government career as an intern at the Montgomery County government and he eventually became director of the National Zoo.
He also had held posts at the Smithsonian and the U.S. Treasury.
His appointment is subject to approval by the U.S. Senate. Chad Griffin, president of Human Rights Campaign, an LGBT rights organisation, backed Mr Berry's appointment as ambassador to Australia.
The outgoing US ambassador to Australia, Jeffrey Blieich, welcomed Mr Berry's appointment.
"I know John as a smart, energetic and extremely likeable man who is enthusiastic about the U.S.-Australian relationship ... He is a talented and dedicated public servant with a wealth of experience in senior level positions," Mr Blieich said.
There is, however, no fixed date yet when would the outgoing ambassador to Australia step down and his replacement take over.
The current US ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, David Huebner, is also openly gay.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales