Obama Nominates John Berry, Open Gay Envoy, as US Ambassador to Australia
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 24, 2013 3:29 PM EST
In another show of support for gays in the U.S., American President Barack Obama has nominated eight openly gay men to be the country's ambassadors in different nations.
Among the eight are John Berry, ambassador to Australia, and James Brewster, ambassador to the Dominican Republic.
Mr Berry is the former director of the Office of Personnel Management where he was instrumental in putting in place complaint procedures for employees who were discriminated due to their sexual orientation. He started his government career as an intern at the Montgomery County government and he eventually became director of the National Zoo.
He also had held posts at the Smithsonian and the U.S. Treasury.
His appointment is subject to approval by the U.S. Senate. Chad Griffin, president of Human Rights Campaign, an LGBT rights organisation, backed Mr Berry's appointment as ambassador to Australia.
The outgoing US ambassador to Australia, Jeffrey Blieich, welcomed Mr Berry's appointment.
"I know John as a smart, energetic and extremely likeable man who is enthusiastic about the U.S.-Australian relationship ... He is a talented and dedicated public servant with a wealth of experience in senior level positions," Mr Blieich said.
There is, however, no fixed date yet when would the outgoing ambassador to Australia step down and his replacement take over.
The current US ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, David Huebner, is also openly gay.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How