iPad 5, iPad Mini 2 Release Date Not Happening Soon; Retailers Replenish Current iPads Stocks
By Kristin Dian Mariano | June 24, 2013 10:50 AM EST
It was reported earlier that retailers have dwindling stocks of previous iPads that led to the speculations that the next generation of tablets are on its way.
However, third party resellers Best Buy and MacMall announced that they have the first generation iPad mini and fourth generation full size iPad back in full stock, with the original price points restored.
It appears Apple had been making plans to launch the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2 sooner and worked to clear out inventory accordingly, but had to pull back at the last minute and temporarily left Best Buy and others without sufficient stock. But the restored inventory means that the iPad 4 and iPad mini are in fact still in production, and points to nothing debuting until at least later this summer.
The full size iPad has had a Retina Display for multiple generations, as will the iPad 5. The iPad mini has a standard display screen, but is expected to move to Retina Display as of the iPad mini 2.
According to rumours, iPad Mini 2 is speculated to feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
The iPad 5, on the other hand, is rumoured to have no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.
However, the Cupertino-based company offers no official comment on the aforementioned rumours.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build