Spurs’ Patty Mills Likely To Play Again Down Under; Melbourne Tigers Emerge As Favorites To Sign Speedy Guard
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 22, 2013 2:32 AM EST
Patrick Mills' tenure with the San Antonio Spurs didn't end well. The Spurs, despite fighting to the limit with the Miami Heat in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, bowed out in a heartbreaking fashion on Friday at American Airlines Arena, Florida.
This development leaves Mills still without an NBA title since joining the league in 2009. This development leaves Mills jobless in the NBA once again.
The St Mary's Gael standout averaged 5.1 points and 1.1 assists per game in 11 minutes of playing time for the Spurs in the regular-season.
However, Mills did not get significant playing time in the post-season as head coach Greg Popovich turned to Gary Neal and second-year guard Corey Joseph to back up starting point guard Tony Parker.
Mills remains supportive for the Spurs throughout the post-season campaign, hoping that it would eventually end up with an NBA championship ring.
Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Now, it's job-hunting time again for soon-to-be free-agent Aussie.
With the kind of talent in store for this year's free-agency, it would be tough for Patrick Mills to land another NBA contract. It's almost sure that NBA teams will look to sign young players and proven veterans over a journeyman who hasn't proven anything in post-season play.
Mills might probably go down South again. And it's not a bad news for NBL ball clubs, who are expected to shell out serious money to sign the former St Mary's Gael star.
The Melbourne Tigers emerged as the frontrunner to get Mills, but other ball clubs like last season's finalists New Zealand Breakers and Perth Wildcats are expected to be in the run for Mill's service.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports