Spurs’ Patty Mills Likely To Play Again Down Under; Melbourne Tigers Emerge As Favorites To Sign Speedy Guard
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 22, 2013 2:32 AM EST
Patrick Mills' tenure with the San Antonio Spurs didn't end well. The Spurs, despite fighting to the limit with the Miami Heat in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, bowed out in a heartbreaking fashion on Friday at American Airlines Arena, Florida.
This development leaves Mills still without an NBA title since joining the league in 2009. This development leaves Mills jobless in the NBA once again.
The St Mary's Gael standout averaged 5.1 points and 1.1 assists per game in 11 minutes of playing time for the Spurs in the regular-season.
However, Mills did not get significant playing time in the post-season as head coach Greg Popovich turned to Gary Neal and second-year guard Corey Joseph to back up starting point guard Tony Parker.
Mills remains supportive for the Spurs throughout the post-season campaign, hoping that it would eventually end up with an NBA championship ring.
Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Now, it's job-hunting time again for soon-to-be free-agent Aussie.
With the kind of talent in store for this year's free-agency, it would be tough for Patrick Mills to land another NBA contract. It's almost sure that NBA teams will look to sign young players and proven veterans over a journeyman who hasn't proven anything in post-season play.
Mills might probably go down South again. And it's not a bad news for NBL ball clubs, who are expected to shell out serious money to sign the former St Mary's Gael star.
The Melbourne Tigers emerged as the frontrunner to get Mills, but other ball clubs like last season's finalists New Zealand Breakers and Perth Wildcats are expected to be in the run for Mill's service.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2