Spurs’ Patty Mills Likely To Play Again Down Under; Melbourne Tigers Emerge As Favorites To Sign Speedy Guard
By Lou Ramon Aguila | June 22, 2013 2:32 AM EST
Patrick Mills' tenure with the San Antonio Spurs didn't end well. The Spurs, despite fighting to the limit with the Miami Heat in Game 7 of the NBA Finals, bowed out in a heartbreaking fashion on Friday at American Airlines Arena, Florida.
This development leaves Mills still without an NBA title since joining the league in 2009. This development leaves Mills jobless in the NBA once again.
The St Mary's Gael standout averaged 5.1 points and 1.1 assists per game in 11 minutes of playing time for the Spurs in the regular-season.
However, Mills did not get significant playing time in the post-season as head coach Greg Popovich turned to Gary Neal and second-year guard Corey Joseph to back up starting point guard Tony Parker.
Mills remains supportive for the Spurs throughout the post-season campaign, hoping that it would eventually end up with an NBA championship ring.
Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Now, it's job-hunting time again for soon-to-be free-agent Aussie.
With the kind of talent in store for this year's free-agency, it would be tough for Patrick Mills to land another NBA contract. It's almost sure that NBA teams will look to sign young players and proven veterans over a journeyman who hasn't proven anything in post-season play.
Mills might probably go down South again. And it's not a bad news for NBL ball clubs, who are expected to shell out serious money to sign the former St Mary's Gael star.
The Melbourne Tigers emerged as the frontrunner to get Mills, but other ball clubs like last season's finalists New Zealand Breakers and Perth Wildcats are expected to be in the run for Mill's service.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone