Russian Oil Concern Rosneft Agrees To Double Oil Shipments To China, Shifting Focus From Struggling Europe
June 21, 2013 11:45 PM EST
Moscow-based Rosneft NK OAO (MCX:ROSN) is doubling down on China’s hunger for crude.
The company announced Friday it has inked a deal worth hundreds of billions of dollars that will vastly increase Rosneft's “long-term crude oil supply contracts to China” via the China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC). The deal, which by the second half of this decade will double Rosneft’s crude shipments to China to 600,000 barrels per day and continue at that level for 25 years, was so important to the two countries that Russian President Vladimir Putin and Zhang Gaoli, first vice premier of the People's Republic of China, ceremoniously signed the deal Thursday during the Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum.
"The estimated value of the deal is $270 billion," Igor Sechin, board chairman, president and director of the state-owned energy concern, said at a press conference in St. Petersburg Friday, as reported by Reuters.
In recent years Russia has been shifting its energy exports emphasis to the east while Europe's economy contracts under the stress of its sovereign debt crisis that has lowered manufacturing output and thus demand for oil and gas from the energy rich Russian Federation.
Rosneft is already exporting about 750,00 barrels per day to Asia out of its total daily exports of 4.4 million barrels per day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- World’s First Qualcomm Snapdragon 810-Powered Smartphone With 4GB RAM Available Now For $800
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- Telltale Games ‘Game of Thrones’ Trailer And Characters Revealed [Watch Video]
- 2 Reasons Samsung Will Need to Rush Galaxy S6 Release Date
- Kylie Makes Fun Of Kendall Jenner's Billboard Goof-up But Fumbles During Her Own Speech During AMA [SEE VIDEO]
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More