Russian Oil Concern Rosneft Agrees To Double Oil Shipments To China, Shifting Focus From Struggling Europe
June 21, 2013 11:45 PM EST
Moscow-based Rosneft NK OAO (MCX:ROSN) is doubling down on China’s hunger for crude.
The company announced Friday it has inked a deal worth hundreds of billions of dollars that will vastly increase Rosneft's “long-term crude oil supply contracts to China” via the China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC). The deal, which by the second half of this decade will double Rosneft’s crude shipments to China to 600,000 barrels per day and continue at that level for 25 years, was so important to the two countries that Russian President Vladimir Putin and Zhang Gaoli, first vice premier of the People's Republic of China, ceremoniously signed the deal Thursday during the Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum.
"The estimated value of the deal is $270 billion," Igor Sechin, board chairman, president and director of the state-owned energy concern, said at a press conference in St. Petersburg Friday, as reported by Reuters.
In recent years Russia has been shifting its energy exports emphasis to the east while Europe's economy contracts under the stress of its sovereign debt crisis that has lowered manufacturing output and thus demand for oil and gas from the energy rich Russian Federation.
Rosneft is already exporting about 750,00 barrels per day to Asia out of its total daily exports of 4.4 million barrels per day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup