Russian Oil Concern Rosneft Agrees To Double Oil Shipments To China, Shifting Focus From Struggling Europe
June 21, 2013 11:45 PM EST
Moscow-based Rosneft NK OAO (MCX:ROSN) is doubling down on China’s hunger for crude.
The company announced Friday it has inked a deal worth hundreds of billions of dollars that will vastly increase Rosneft's “long-term crude oil supply contracts to China” via the China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC). The deal, which by the second half of this decade will double Rosneft’s crude shipments to China to 600,000 barrels per day and continue at that level for 25 years, was so important to the two countries that Russian President Vladimir Putin and Zhang Gaoli, first vice premier of the People's Republic of China, ceremoniously signed the deal Thursday during the Saint Petersburg International Economic Forum.
"The estimated value of the deal is $270 billion," Igor Sechin, board chairman, president and director of the state-owned energy concern, said at a press conference in St. Petersburg Friday, as reported by Reuters.
In recent years Russia has been shifting its energy exports emphasis to the east while Europe's economy contracts under the stress of its sovereign debt crisis that has lowered manufacturing output and thus demand for oil and gas from the energy rich Russian Federation.
Rosneft is already exporting about 750,00 barrels per day to Asia out of its total daily exports of 4.4 million barrels per day.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0