Paula Deen Racial Slur Controversy: Chef Blames Southern Upbringing For Using N-Word
June 21, 2013 8:50 PM EST
Paula Deen, who is in the middle of a controversy after admitting to using a racial slur back in the 1980s, has used her southern upbringing as an excuse for using the N-word.
Paula Deen Enterprises, her company, released a statement to the media stating that America was a different place during the 1980s, and racism was prevalent.
“During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today," a statement cited by TMZ said.
It went on to elaborate that Deen was born at a time when schools in the south were segregated and African Americans rode in different parts of the bus and had different restaurants.
“To be clear Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination," the statement added.
The statement raises a few questions. According to the deposition, Deen admitted to using the N-word when she worked at a bank that was robbed by a black assailant pointed a gun to her head.
It is not clear when this event occurred, but published reports indicate Deen worked with a bank in the mid-1980s -- well after the Civil Rights movement had transformed racial attitudes in the South and elsewhere.
Advertisers and Food Network, which broadcast two of Deen’s popular cooking shows, said they are aware of the controversy and are keeping an eye on the developments. "Food Network does not tolerate any form of discrimination and is a strong proponent of diversity and inclusion," the network said in a statement cited by the Los Angeles Times.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Transfer News: In Demand Everton Midfielder Silence Speculations by Penning New Deal [VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Transfer News: Star Midfielder Pledges Future with Manchester City [VIDEO]
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand