Andrology Expert Advises Young Male Cancer Patients to Store Sperm
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 21, 2013 2:04 PM EST
Professor Rob McLachlan, director of Andrology Australia, is even encouraging young male cancer patients to likewise store their sperm as a way of protecting their fertility which could be permanently damaged by certain types of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy treatments.
The same advice applies to males in their early teens because modern cancer treatments could give them better chances of living longer, including siring children when they reach marrying age and despite possible damage to their fertility.
"Cancer survival, particularly among adolescents and young adults, has improved enormously ... Doing this is an affirmation of the future. If you thought you were going to die you would not do it," The Herald Sun quoted Mr McLachlan.
However, he discouraged conception by the wife while the man is on cancer treatment.
Meanwhile, the Australian Cancer Research Foundation said it will announce on Nov 13 after a rigid selection process five potentially life-saving projects that will receive funds from the foundation.
Among the organisations on the foundation's short-list are the Children's Cancer Institute Australia, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, the Children's Medical Research Institute, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute and Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
The selected projects would share $10 million. Among their proposals are centre for child cancer patients at high risk of relapse, a high-tech imaging equipment and a facility to help identify personalised treatment options.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Co-founder of ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Corey Griffin, Drowns to Death
- Science of Depression: A Disease With a Biological Basis; Robin Williams A Victiom of the Disease [Watch Video]
- ALS sufferer takes on Ice Bucket Challenge For His Own Cause[Video]
- U.S. Pizza to Launch Sauces Laced with Marijuana
- Pornography: A 'Chemical Addiction' That Celebrities Admitted Being Addicted To
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch