Andrology Expert Advises Young Male Cancer Patients to Store Sperm
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 21, 2013 2:04 PM EST
Professor Rob McLachlan, director of Andrology Australia, is even encouraging young male cancer patients to likewise store their sperm as a way of protecting their fertility which could be permanently damaged by certain types of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy treatments.
The same advice applies to males in their early teens because modern cancer treatments could give them better chances of living longer, including siring children when they reach marrying age and despite possible damage to their fertility.
"Cancer survival, particularly among adolescents and young adults, has improved enormously ... Doing this is an affirmation of the future. If you thought you were going to die you would not do it," The Herald Sun quoted Mr McLachlan.
However, he discouraged conception by the wife while the man is on cancer treatment.
Meanwhile, the Australian Cancer Research Foundation said it will announce on Nov 13 after a rigid selection process five potentially life-saving projects that will receive funds from the foundation.
Among the organisations on the foundation's short-list are the Children's Cancer Institute Australia, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, the Children's Medical Research Institute, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute and Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
The selected projects would share $10 million. Among their proposals are centre for child cancer patients at high risk of relapse, a high-tech imaging equipment and a facility to help identify personalised treatment options.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- ‘Death Sentence’ For 50,000 Australians With The Refusal Of Costly Hep C Treatment
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions