Andrology Expert Advises Young Male Cancer Patients to Store Sperm
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 21, 2013 2:04 PM EST
Professor Rob McLachlan, director of Andrology Australia, is even encouraging young male cancer patients to likewise store their sperm as a way of protecting their fertility which could be permanently damaged by certain types of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy treatments.
The same advice applies to males in their early teens because modern cancer treatments could give them better chances of living longer, including siring children when they reach marrying age and despite possible damage to their fertility.
"Cancer survival, particularly among adolescents and young adults, has improved enormously ... Doing this is an affirmation of the future. If you thought you were going to die you would not do it," The Herald Sun quoted Mr McLachlan.
However, he discouraged conception by the wife while the man is on cancer treatment.
Meanwhile, the Australian Cancer Research Foundation said it will announce on Nov 13 after a rigid selection process five potentially life-saving projects that will receive funds from the foundation.
Among the organisations on the foundation's short-list are the Children's Cancer Institute Australia, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, the Children's Medical Research Institute, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute and Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
The selected projects would share $10 million. Among their proposals are centre for child cancer patients at high risk of relapse, a high-tech imaging equipment and a facility to help identify personalised treatment options.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Gene That Stops Spreading of Lung Cancer - Identified by Latest Study.
- Teenage Boys Desire Intimacy and Close Relationships: Study
- Young Women Scientists Face Sexual Harassments While Working on Scientific Field: Study Says
- Breakthrough in HIV Medications: Two Australian Men and One In Rockford 'Cured'
- The Great Australian Sex Census Decodes Sex Technology Habits of Australians
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People