Andrology Expert Advises Young Male Cancer Patients to Store Sperm
By Vittorio Hernandez | June 21, 2013 2:04 PM EST
Professor Rob McLachlan, director of Andrology Australia, is even encouraging young male cancer patients to likewise store their sperm as a way of protecting their fertility which could be permanently damaged by certain types of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy treatments.
The same advice applies to males in their early teens because modern cancer treatments could give them better chances of living longer, including siring children when they reach marrying age and despite possible damage to their fertility.
"Cancer survival, particularly among adolescents and young adults, has improved enormously ... Doing this is an affirmation of the future. If you thought you were going to die you would not do it," The Herald Sun quoted Mr McLachlan.
However, he discouraged conception by the wife while the man is on cancer treatment.
Meanwhile, the Australian Cancer Research Foundation said it will announce on Nov 13 after a rigid selection process five potentially life-saving projects that will receive funds from the foundation.
Among the organisations on the foundation's short-list are the Children's Cancer Institute Australia, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, the Children's Medical Research Institute, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute and Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre.
The selected projects would share $10 million. Among their proposals are centre for child cancer patients at high risk of relapse, a high-tech imaging equipment and a facility to help identify personalised treatment options.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MRI Footage Shows What Sex And Other Activities Looks Like From The Inside[Watch Video]
- Joe Manganiello Fitness Secret: Low Carb Paleo Diet and CrossFit Workout
- Demi Lovato Battled Bulimia and Negative Body Image: Turns into Role Model For Many; Her Diet and Fitness Routine
- Beyonce Reveals Snaps Of Naked Baby Bump While She Was Expecting Blue Ivy; How She Lost Her Pregnancy Weight [Watch Video]
- Ebola Response Team Killed In Cold Blood By Angry Guinea Locales
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?